Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Only if looking closely...

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I have always been curous because I for sure cant tell. A buddy of mine just bought his new bride a very high dollar ring. IMHO a waste of money. So the question is. Can you tell if I diamond is real or not. And be honest this is looking at a casual distance 2 ft or more.

Last edited:

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
Being in the business and all, you would think that I could tell, but I'm telling you, it's not easy. Not with a magnifying glass, not with a loupe, not with superman sight. There are many different diamond grades based on color and clarity. The best way to spot a fake is to find one that you don't see any imperfections in. For real diamonds of super high quality, there will be less imperfections, lower grade, more imperfections (or, as they are called, inclusions) Another way to spot a fake is if it has a scratch on it. Diamonds don't really scratch so easily :) (only by another diamond) That is one of the reasons they make great engagement rings. You can wear them all the time without worrying about scratching the stone.

I recently priced out a 1.10ct stone for a friend that was of really high quality, GIA certified, and the cost for just the stone was $21,000 wholesale. To buy this stone set in a simple setting with no other diamonds, 14k gold, would be in the $30,000 range retail!!!

I don't have a diamond in my ring. I have a tsavorite. Not as hard as a diamond, but it's my favorite stone.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Nope, no clue! I have seen the fakes right next to the real ones too and they look exactly the same to me. My rings do have real diamonds on them, but they weren't all that pricey, they are little. I never wanted anything big and I would punch my husband in the face if he spent thousands of dollars on a stupid tiny little ring. lol

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Xero said:
I would punch my husband in the face if he spent thousands of dollars on a stupid tiny little ring. lol
A buddy of mine just spent 8 grand he didnt have, borrowed while he was already overdrawn. For his new wife. She has little kids. All their cars are mid 80's model's falling apart. And she has been flashing the ring around. Its none of my business but I can help thinking what a huge waste of money and unnecessary burden.

alter ego

PF Enthusiast
Oct 6, 2011
the bush, Australia
yes, but I have a gem trader relative, so have dome practice :)
I personally wouldnt never spend a fortune. My engagement ring cost $400 (more than my car at the time) and I wear my families wedding ring (heirloom band, and when we pass it down, we buy an eternity ring)
I had a $5000 wedding though (100 people) which was less than my friends bridal party gifts, let alone her dress/receptionetc

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
No I couldn't tell. I'm not big on jewelry either though, earnings are my favorite. Funny, My sister and I were shopping at OverStock.com once, we wanted to look at the rings so we typed in cubic zirconiarings and found such beautiful engagement/wedding sets that she bought one for $35.00! lol. Every once in a while she switches it with her real wedding set and every single time someone stops her and comments on how beautiful her wedding rings are. No one has ever noticed it wasn't real.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Well, obviously it depends on the fake... if its just a piece of glass/crystal, then yes, I can definitely tell the difference. A cubic zyrconia you pretty much have to see next to a real diamond to spot the difference. Then you get these so-called "manufactured" diamonds - I've seen one, and even under a magnifying glass I couldn't see the difference.

I think if you want to get a real diamond, the trick is to go for a diamond that is just white enough to look white to the eye - you don't need blue-white, and with imperfections that can't be seen with the naked eye once its set in a ring. Lets face it - no one is going to look at that diamond from the bottom with a magnifying glass once it is set. IMO getting that perfect, flawless blue-white diamond is a waste of money - no one will know unless you tell them.

My wife's ring has a real diamond, but it isn't perfect, and it isn't huge. Plus here, if you know where to look, you can buy a diamond straight from a diamond dealer and have it set for less than half the price the average jeweler will charge you. And then, if you want, you get to brag - "Oh, we had it custom made" LOL. :rolleyes:

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I agree about manufactured versus real, those I can not tell the difference at all. Cubic zirconium, it depends, sometimes I can other times I can't. From a distance not at all, I am not a jewelry person (much to husbands annoyance) as a rule I find it a waste of money. Costume jewelry, fine for those few occasions where you might need to wear some.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
bssage said:
A buddy of mine just spent 8 grand he didnt have, borrowed while he was already overdrawn. For his new wife. She has little kids. All their cars are mid 80's model's falling apart. And she has been flashing the ring around. Its none of my business but I can help thinking what a huge waste of money and unnecessary burden.
Wow, how embarassing!! See I totally do not agree with that. :/ DH and I had already been together for almost five years, we had two nice cars that were 05 and 04, and we had all of the money to pay for all of our rings up front!! I think total it was close to 2k for all three of our rings lol (and his even has diamonds on it too) at JBR. I even think that was a lot. I would never pay more than that and I would never go into debt for a ring.

My cousin and her husband are still trying to pay back JUST my cousin's engagement ring, also 8k. So dumb.

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
I don't think I could tell from 2ft or more. I don't know if I could tell these days from even closer with my bad eyes. But I used to be able to sometimes tell from a really close look. Real diamonds are flawed. You can often see the flaws in them. But personally, I wouldn't care. I probably wouldn't wear either except to be polite. I find wearing jewelry to be bothersome. It is beautiful on other people, and I like looking at catalogs, but I can't stand wearing the stuff.

Last edited:

Grastie

Jul 30, 2021
I'm not sure if I can tell the difference between a real diamond and a fake, but I definitely don't mind getting a ring with a large gemstone as a gift. However, with not very expensive too. I recently found Demantoid Garnet in one of the online jewelry stores and I really want to get this ring for my birthday. It really looks very nice and it seems to me that this stone looks real.