Did anyone hear about the shortage of rice?...

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I don't know if my mother is insane but she told me on the phone that rice is going to sky rocket because of drought. So they are selling only four bags per family in the stores. Anyone else hear of this?<EMOJI seq="1f615">:confused:</EMOJI>

ivybendorf

PF Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2008
Oklahoma
They are rationing flour in places, too. I have heard of it in Vermont and Utah. The economy is going down the tube, regardless of weather. This whole ethanol demand has everything screwed up. People started farming more corn and less of other things, which put the supply and demand out of whack, and there is still not enough corn to sate the ethanol demand so corn is going up. That in turn is pushing beef prices up, since feed is so much more expensive, and the droughts mean alternative feed like hay is more expensive than it has been in decades. Ethanol isn't lowering gas prices, so food transport is going up, which raises the price of everything.

I blame the gas companies for the growing food crisis, :D

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
ivybendorf said:
Bingo, that is exactly the answer!

Plus, the contaminated water scares have us paying 3x for bottled water than we do for gas.

So if you have designed a car that runs on water....we don't want it now.

Funny eh?

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
ivybendorf said:
They are rationing flour in places, too. I have heard of it in Vermont and Utah. The economy is going down the tube, regardless of weather. This whole ethanol demand has everything screwed up. People started farming more corn and less of other things, which put the supply and demand out of whack, and there is still not enough corn to sate the ethanol demand so corn is going up. That in turn is pushing beef prices up, since feed is so much more expensive, and the droughts mean alternative feed like hay is more expensive than it has been in decades. Ethanol isn't lowering gas prices, so food transport is going up, which raises the price of everything.

Wow. Good post!

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
I read about that yesterday... I was like wow, rice is about the cheapest thing you can buy at the grocery store. Not any more, I guess.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
I think our country is headed into a major crisis if someone doesn't step up and do something soon. IMO we need to get the hell out of Iraq and take care of US. That's been my view since the very beginning. We have some very serious problems here and nobody is doing a damn thing. I just hope the next president will not be so dumb.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
<I>NORTH TEXAS (TXA 21 News) ― </I>
<I>Consumers may have a good reason for feeling uneasy about food prices. Some stores have begun rationing certain items. TXA 21 News has learned that Sam's Club's are now rationing rice, but the warehouse store isn't to blame. ...</I>
<I>... Oddly enough part of the problem begins with produce. The U.S. Congress has mandated that America turn a large percentage of corn crops into biofuel. Thirty-percent of the current U.S. corn crop is now dedicated to those fuels.</I>

cbs11tv.com - Some Texas Stores Rationing Staple Food Items

We actually paid 3.49 a gallon to fill up our truck this morning. :-(

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
Lissa said:
I think our country is headed into a major crisis if someone doesn't step up and do something soon. IMO we need to get the hell out of Iraq and take care of US. That's been my view since the very beginning. We have some very serious problems here and nobody is doing a damn thing. I just hope the next president will not be so dumb.
Brilliant...

Hey, wasn't there a prophet that predicted.

"In the second millenium, the village idiot will rule the world."

Boy he really nailed that one.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
What do you think about a mandatory annual cost of living increase for all workers? It seems to me that the problem here is not just inflation and greed, but low wages. Do you think something like that would work?

*sigh* in a perfect world.

Vote Lissa for President!!!!

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
Gas - Vancouver BC - $5.31 GALLON

So lets see, USA is getting Hydro from us, water from us, and we have the largest offshore oil reserves in the world.

How long before Canada gets attacked for having WMD ?

Afgan and the middle east is all about oil IMO... nothing else .. but oil.. USA wants to be the world leader and they have slipped as a "Superpower".

The government doesnt care how high oil goes .. because THEY make more money in taxes, plus half of them own or have shares in oil companies... do a little 411 on Bush and his gang ... see how much oil stuff he owns.

Theres a shortage alright ... it starts with education, and ends with complacency ... people not standing up for what is right. What do you think would happen if the masses marched to Bushes Palace and said .. "troops out now... or we REMOVE you" ..... YOU are the voice of the country ... the leader SHOULD be your puppet.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
hwnorth said:
Gas - Vancouver BC - $5.31 GALLON

So lets see, USA is getting Hydro from us, water from us, and we have the largest offshore oil reserves in the world.

How long before Canada gets attacked for having WMD ?

Afgan and the middle east is all about oil IMO... nothing else .. but oil.. USA wants to be the world leader and they have slipped as a "Superpower".

The government doesnt care how high oil goes .. because THEY make more money in taxes, plus half of them own or have shares in oil companies... do a little 411 on Bush and his gang ... see how much oil stuff he owns.

Theres a shortage alright ... it starts with education, and ends with complacency ... people not standing up for what is right. What do you think would happen if the masses marched to Bushes Palace and said .. "troops out now... or we REMOVE you" ..... YOU are the voice of the country ... the leader SHOULD be your puppet.
Actually Canada is the second largest. America is dumb on the part that we have our very own natural resources here to make our own oil. I do not understand why we don't.
I totally agree that WE have to stand up. I can bet my last dollar that these truck drivers are going to go on strike real soon. You raise gas, their pay goes down, they stop driving.
It's pretty sad when you wis for a natural disaster just so we can get a few jobs around here. When is hurricane season?
Our school district has cut back so all of those people 33,000 are out of jobs, that's not including the teachers who have twenty years. They are weeding out high administrators from public offices here as well.
To hell in a hand basket alright.
This world is shot with who all is running for office. Hillary is too emotional, Obama is too angry and McCain can't find his arse from his albow.
I am so ready to move to Ireland.

ivybendorf

PF Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2008
Oklahoma
I think an angry president might do us some good. If he has half a brain, he will get mad at the oil giants holding a monopoly over the whole d*mn country and make them open their pocketbooks!

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
musicmom said:
Actually Canada is the second largest. America is dumb on the part that we have our very own natural resources here to make our own oil. I do not understand why we don't.
I totally agree that WE have to stand up. I can bet my last dollar that these truck drivers are going to go on strike real soon. You raise gas, their pay goes down, they stop driving.
Not to debate on the topic ... but Saudi used to be thought as the largest ... they are now saying that the tar sands of Alberta are the largest .. and this isnt inclusive of the off-shore available off the Coast of BC and the Queen Charlottes area.

kuro5hin.org || technology and culture, from the trenches
Alexander's Gas &amp; Oil Connections - Canada has world's largest oil reserves

Problem with striking as a truck driver, is thats what these people know, its not as simple as re-training... truck driving is a class all its own. On top of that, its not uncommon to have over $150,000 tied up in a truck. So the problem with striking is that no one gives you strike pay nor makes your payments .. and it really does nothing because no one listens long enough .. its a world trade impact that we need to make.

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
ivybendorf said:
I think an angry president might do us some good. If he has half a brain, he will get mad at the oil giants holding a monopoly over the whole d*mn country and make them open their pocketbooks!
Although Im Canadian and dont follow a lot of USA politics, I still feel that a black President would be awsome. If for no other reason than he has a lot to prove and show how good he can be as the first black president and how he can improve the country ... I think theres a lot to be said about that alone.