discipline / crossing boundaries question

Tinkerbell

Nov 17, 2020
Hi. Recently I was in a situation with my tween age son. DS was not doing what I asked, was crossing my boundaries. I opted to take him to his father's house and give up the rest of that chunk of parenting time with him. I also opted to keep a video game that was in the console I bought him that was staying at my house, until the next week when DS returned to me. Do you think withholding video games or screen time as a consequence for poor behavior / crossing boundaries, is an effective & appropriate teaching & parenting tool? Would you please explain?

Moonstone

Nov 9, 2020
USA
I only have a small baby but I am a gamer and was one growing up. That said, every kid is different so I think you'll have the best instinct for whether it will work on your son. For example, I'm a female and pretty nomconfrentational. I'm not especially rebellious and prefer to keep the peace rather than fight for my own way.

Screen time restriction and having my games taken from me worked for a little while. But when I was a teen, I think 13-14, I started to get wise that the punishment is only valid if my parents were awake to enforce it so I started waking up at 2-3am to sneak in some screen time. If you do this, I think you need to make a point to drain the battery/hide power cords/etc.

Hope that helps!