Discuss God...

Maxinetshaw

Oct 3, 2014
How can I talk about the existence of God with my children, I have a 5 year old and a 14 year old.

Wickett

Community Admin
Aug 1, 2014
East Central U.S.
Delicate and important subject, also very dependent on what you believe spiritually. Since I don't know that, I won't have much to give you in the way of advice, but I would start off the concept of God as a parent. Caring, responsible, and relatable right off the bat. Make Him real to them.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I would suspect that your 14yr old has some opinions of their own on the topic.

The answer to the question depends entirely on what you believe. What I may say is not necessarily what you would want to say.

Wickett

Community Admin
Aug 1, 2014
East Central U.S.
cybele said:
I would suspect that your 14yr old has some opinions of their own on the topic.
Unless they've gone to church actively at any time in their life, I doubt it. At 14 it's still all about toys and fun, which is natural.

The answer to the question depends entirely on what you believe. What I may say is not necessarily what you would want to say.
Same here. Maybe a little more background perhaps?

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Really? My 13yr old has pretty strong beliefs on the possibility of a deity, and she has never been to church. My older three were the same too.

Wickett

Community Admin
Aug 1, 2014
East Central U.S.
cybele said:
Really? My 13yr old has pretty strong beliefs on the possibility of a deity, and she has never been to church. My older three were the same too.
Sounds like you have a thinker on your hands then, which is good. Definitely unlike any other 13 year-old I've ever known with no past experience with religion or going to church.

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
I think you need to be honest. What do you believe in?
To me, personally, God is everywhere -- in birds, in flowers, in every creation.

As for going to church, it is community. I was raised Catholic -- those vast, overcrowded and very cold buildings never felt like community so i never was interested in going.
Here where i live now, we have a very nice Church of England community -- there is a lot of outreach work for the neighbourhood, and just as you come in, you feel welcome -- you, your family, even your dog.