dispsoible nappies diapers with plastic backing...

sjacksun

Oct 12, 2013
Just wondering if there's any makes of disposable nappies diaper s. With plastic backing rather then cloth like backing.
I still think the plastic backing ones are better.
What do you think ?

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I don't think I remember any plastic ones. I know the plastic covers you could put over the cloth nappies, back when cloth nappies were an actual square of fabric rather than the fancy things they have now, but not plastic disposables.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
I think he is referring to fitting a 15-year-old, so the design and material may be different than the disposables designed for infants. It seems to me that a cloth-like material would be more comfortable and breathable, but manufacturers would certainly not use anything that leaked. As I former cloth-diaperer (of infants), I think you'd be surprised at the quality of materials they now have. Polyurethane, for example, feels like cloth and is breathable, but is just as waterproof as plastic. Disposable baby diapers also feel like cloth now, but they don't leak (not through the material anyway).

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Ahh, that's right, I forgot about the 15yr old.

They had the breathable disposables back in my nappy-using days too. I promise it wasn't that long ago, well, I had Dita and Azriel in cloth so I didn't really know what was available back in the early-mid 90s. I just got lazy by the time Sunny came along.

sjacksun

Oct 12, 2013
theres one thing i have noticed about the new disposables. diapers They have got smaller comperd to the ones from 1990s 1980s And most of the diapers back then was plastic coverd backing. Comperd to now a days that are cloth liked backing

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
sjacksun said:
theres one thing i have noticed about the new disposables. diapers They have got smaller comperd to the ones from 1990s 1980s And most of the diapers back then was plastic coverd backing. Comperd to now a days that are cloth liked backing
Since the 80's / 90's, a lot of research have gone into creating better, more lightweight, more breathable fabrics that are just as water-proof as plastic, but much more comfortable and less damaging to the environment than plastic. I really don't think there is a need to doubt the new fabric on disposable nappies. It really is an improvement on plastic, not a step down. ;)

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
We have this really weird ad for adult nappies here where a woman takes off her dress to reveal her 'sexy' nappy.

I just really can't get on board with that one.