Do girls carry ASD gene?...

Mountain9Mom

PF Regular
Feb 11, 2012
<LEFT>
I recently knew a mom. She said her Dad and her brother may be ASD. They had speech delay, communication delay......etc. But there wasn't diagnose in old days. So they don't know. But she was totally normal and a bright girl in school. Now her son was diagnosed as ASD. I don't know her husband's family. Does it means that girls can carry the ASD gene too?​
</LEFT>

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Girls are a minority on the spectrum. But they are there. The "ASD gene" to the best of my knowledge is there is only a small amount of data suggesting it is a gene.

There has been diagnoses of autism for a very long time. But in the old days people were both reluctant to give or receive it. Typically it would involve instutulizing the subject and include treatments similar to schizophrenia. Now that resources are available and with the revision of DSM-5 effectively expanding what is considered Autism.

The list of assignable causes is also ever expanding. Of the studies I have read. A more mature biological age of the father seems to carry more weight than anything else studied.

Even the geographacial differences are becoming less, as recent studies looking into the methodology of countries involved have found flaws that result in much more similar occurrences across borders.

Flowers

PF Regular
Mar 21, 2013
"A more mature biological age of the father seems to carry more weight than anything else studied".

Interesting findings there, I read another finding that indicated that younger biological dads produce smarter kids in schools.