Do you hold judgment on what other parents wear?...

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
Just asking. I take the bus nearly everyday, and it's a long ride. My mind tends to wonder. When I see a parent (often it's a mom) get on the bus with her kids or a stroller, my eye instantly scans what she/he is wearing. It's really odd.
I sneer in my head when I see a tattooed clad (and I'm not talking good, artistically skilled tattoos. I'm talking about the I-got-these-done-in prison, cheap looking tattoos.), too tight or sloppy fitted clothes with their hair sloppily pulled up in a "top knot", I think "she must have just gotten out of prison or is a drug junkie." I will then find myself periodically glancing at her and her kids. I look at the condition of the kids. There was one time I saw a toddler who looked filthy.

When I see tough looking dad, looking similar, I think he used to lead a bad lifestyle but is reformed for the sake of his kids and it's cute that he took them out to somewhere. That thought disappears when I see a dad and his friends teaching his kid gang hand symbols.

Of course, if a parent is ordinary looking I just think they are fine and dandy parents.

You may be thinking I'm one judgmental, nosey you=know=what. Not so.
I'm sure, actually, I know people stare and pass judgment on me. But it's probably because me and my daughter look close in age. They are probably just as bored as I am on the bus. But I have seen some questionable parenting on the bus and at bus stops, too. I've seen a mother pick her toddler up and shake him because he kept crying for her attention.

Do any of you think how a parent is dressed determines on how you think of them as parents?

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Well, I'm the tattoo clad, tight clothes wearing mother, so eh.

I'm generally quite judgemental, I'll own up to that, I just can't bring myself to care about what other people wear.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Meh, I guess I used to be very judgmental when I was younger. Interesting thing is, the more I learned to accept myself, the less I caught myself judging others.

But it was never really about clothes. More about general demeanor.

What is interesting to me (and please don't take this as criticism - it's just an observation!)

When a woman looks dodgy, you mentally "accuse" her of being a jailbird or an addict.
When a man looks dodgy, you mentally congratulate him for reforming his life for his kid?

Are you even aware of the double standard, and how you judge women more harshly than men?

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
singledad said:
Meh, I guess I used to be very judgmental when I was younger. Interesting thing is, the more I learned to accept myself, the less I caught myself judging others.

But it was never really about clothes. More about general demeanor.

What is interesting to me (and please don't take this as criticism - it's just an observation!)

When a woman looks dodgy, you mentally "accuse" her of being a jailbird or an addict.
When a man looks dodgy, you mentally congratulate him for reforming his life for his kid?

Are you even aware of the double standard, and how you judge women more harshly than men?
It's not that I'm thinking that's the way they really are. I'm sure they are nice people and good parents. I understand, especially the ones with infants, on wanting to dress in comfortable clothes. It's just something about how someone is dressed...I think your right. The demeanor does play a roll in someone's overall appearance. It's kind of hard to explain. I take into consideration other things, such as how they are talking to their kids, how they interact with other people around them, and the types of risky situations they put their kids in (escalators are not for strollers and strangers at the bus stop are not babysitters.).

I'm not offended by your observation. I noticed it, too.
There is a high influx of mom's pushing strollers and whenever you see a dad out with his baby it's nice to see. I've come across enough men who think taking care of a baby is "women's work" and that was when I was living in a rougher area. But I still find it looks bad when a dad is dressed like a gangster or drug dealer, wearing clothes by 'Cocaine and Caviar' for instance. I just think of the type of message they are sending to their kids.

Last edited:

CraigK

PF Regular
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego
Of course people will always judge a book by its cover! As long as you keep your thoughts to yourself, I don't see why this would be an issue.

page16

PF Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2014
I never judge people on what they wear, whether they are parents or not. I strongly believe that what's inside is what matters most of all. Yes, in some cases your clothes may reflect part of what is inside, but still, I don't ever judge people on what they wear, ever.

BellaBabyBoutiq

Sep 1, 2015
Virginia Beach
It's wrong to judge others. As a Christian I feel it is up to God to judge us. We should be here to be supportive, to be kind to one another and help others out.

xox.ilu.xox

PF Addict
Dec 17, 2009
Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada
Tatoo clad momma here too ? i also have 1/2 inch stretched ears and numerous other piercings. Doesn't change how i am as a parent. I do pass judgement depending on my mood but i try not to as i know how it feels to be judged by outward appearances.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk