Does anyone have a child with diabetes?...

Claire64

PF Fanatic
Mar 10, 2008
I'm just wondering if anyone on here has a kid with diabetes?

My son Landon does and things are going well, but there are lots of things coming up that I never really thought about and I'd like to talk to someone in a similar situation.

Anyone?

Thanks!

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
No personal experience, but I do have a cyber pal with a diabetic child. There must be online support groups. I'll ask her and get back to you.

Claire64

PF Fanatic
Mar 10, 2008
I have found a few boards, but one I belonged to just shut down, and I haven't really found another one that I like.

The things I'm talking about aren't so much about the medical side of diabetes, but about helping him deal with it. Like for the last few weeks, since school got out, he's wanted to go on sleepovers, but he can't.

Thanks Trina!

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Neither of my kids are diabetic, but they both have asthma and severe food allergies, so I can relate some what. {{{HUGS}}}

Could you have sleepovers at your house instead? I know that's not quite the same for him, but a safe alternative. I'm sure if his friends and their parents are aware of his medical issues they would totally understand.

Claire64

PF Fanatic
Mar 10, 2008
We do have lots of sleepovers here, but it's still tough on him to not be allowed to sleep at a friend's for a birthday or go to a friend's beach house.

I'm hoping that by the end of the summer, he'll be able to manage it well enough by himself to be able to sleep at a friend's house, but I'm not sure if that will happen.

IBOGRSMAMA

Jun 30, 2008
Hey there, this is Trina's cyber friend from another group. my Anya is 6 1/2 and we too have a hard time with the sleepover thing. Anytime you want to chat.... It is hard for them, especially when they know Diabetes is the reason you say no.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
when my son was born he spent 3 days in the NICU because they couldn't get his blood sugar under control. I worry about him developing diabetes but so far so good. They stabilized his blood sugar before he left the NICU and it's been good so far but they monitor him regularly

Claire64

PF Fanatic
Mar 10, 2008
IBOGRSMAMA - Thanks for responding! My son, Landon, doesn't usually have a hard time dealing with having diabetes, but sleepovers are one big thing that he can't seem to get past. He's almost 10, so I thought that at this point he'd be pretty much independent at managing his diabetes, but he's not quite there yet. His soccer coach invited the entire team to sleep at his house on Friday night, and I think we're going to let him go. I know his coach pretty well, and I've already taught him a bit about what to do with Landon's diabetes, so I think he'll be fine.

Fallon - That must have been tough. My oldest spent one day in the NICU and it was the longest day of my life. It's great that it hasn't come up again.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
it was hard...luckly (I guess) I had a c-section so I was in the hospital the whole time with him. He fot to come to my room the last day I was there and went home with me. I couldn't imagine having to leave him there

IBOGRSMAMA

Jun 30, 2008
At this point the only time Anya is away from us is school or when she is with my parents.... It is tough. I fear her getting older, she already wants to be off on her own. SHe is so mad that we won't let her do summer camps etc. Next year we are sending her to Diabetes Camp!

Good luck with the sleepover. Can you call and check in at bolus times? How abut making sure he has a list of foods and the amounts that are snackable?

Claire64

PF Fanatic
Mar 10, 2008
During the school year, outside of school, the longest I'm usually away from Landon is an hour or two. He's in lots of sports and activities, but I always drop him off and pick him up, so it's really not that long that he's away from me. This summer it's getting harder. He wants to go out with his friends and hang out at the park all day. For now, we're letting him go out, but he has to come home for snacks and meals. Landon is starting soccer camp next week, but my oldest son Ryan is an instructor at the camp, so Ryan will look after him while he's there.

Thanks for the advice about the sleepover. I'll get him to take a phone with him and I'll call a couple times, but he loves "grazing" and snacking during movies and such, so that makes it tricky. His coach is great though, so I'm sure he'll be looking out for Landon.

I've never heard of Diabetes Camp, but Landon hasn't seemed that interested in meeting other kids with Diabetes. What camp is it and where is it?