Down Syndrome-...

mglc83

May 19, 2010
South Texas
I just wanted to say something to parents who have special needs children.
I have nothing but respect for you.

When I was 10, we got new neighbors. They had a 2 year old down syndrome daughter, and I started spending everyday with her.
I found this child to be the most special human being. I was with her everyday, until she passed at 6 years old.
She was the smartest, most loving child and I believe she made me such a better person.
This was now 15 years ago, and I still think of her everyday, I now have 2 kids of my own, one is the age she was when she passed. I look at my son and feel thankful for the love I was taught early on in life.

Continue loving and having fun with your children, I know some days are rough.
I just wanted to share this and say Thank you to all the parents with special needs children who devote their lives to giving their kids a loving home and constant care!

St. Nobody

PF Regular
Jun 22, 2010
Some of my fondest and most beautiful memories are of working with Down's syndrome children.

It's a shame that children with chromosomal mutations typically experience a shorter lifespan, but you know what they say about how the good die young.

One of the things that make me proudest about my hometown is that even though we were an underfunded district, the agriculture and special education teachers teamed up and got grant after grant, and with the grants they built an agriculture program for the participation of all.

Whether you were rich, poor, whether or not you knew anything about agriculture, if you were willing to contribute to the program according to your ability, they'd make sure you could participate. They would pick children up from their homes (in our area, living half an hour away from town or more was not unusual) and transport the livestock, if required. They even bought livestock for people to show and learn about, free of charge.

The special education children were all given sheep to show. They were kept at the barn for the show season and replaced with new sheep every year. The children were showed how to be gentle and kind, assisted to the extent of their need and allowed to participate to the extent of their ability.

The children were so happy to interact with these animals and win prizes.

When the agriculture teacher discovered a young autistic boy's passion for fish, she funded him aquarium after aquarium and set up an aquatics class, in which he sometimes even spoke to the class to teach them about Sherri the Lobster or the Koi. She would meet him during weekends and over holidays, when necessary, for fish care, and I know this young man's quality of life improved.

Since high school, one my Down's buddies has died, but I'll never forget his hugs- the most special hugs I ever recieved- and how the last time he saw me, five years after he'd gratuated, he asked me if I remembered his sheep and how he'd 'go, go, go!'