Effects of Consumerism...

momwifestudent

Oct 6, 2008
Hi Everyone,

My name is Sara. I'm a veteran of the US Air Force, mom of a brilliant 16 year old boy, wife to a fabulous artist, full time employee in the IT field, and did I mention, 1/2 time student?

I hope you can take a few minutes to answer a 10 question survey I have compiled for a research paper I am doing on the effects of consumerism on kids and families. Your identity will not be used/disclosed when presenting my data for this paper. I'm trying to get my degree in Industrial Design, and had to pick a controversial topic related to my area of study. Please simply enter the question number and corresponding letter response in your replies (eg: 1. d; 2.c etc). Your help is greatly appreciated!

If you are not comfortable posting your reply here, please email it to me at: onehundredtwofarenheit at yahoo dot com with ECS in the subject line.

Thank You So Much!

When it comes to non-esential purchases like toys, games and DVDs, on average, I spend between:[/SIZE]</SIZE>
$0-25 per month per child</SIZE>[/FONT]
$25-50 per month per child</SIZE>[/FONT]
$50-75 per month per child</SIZE>[/FONT]
$75-100 per month per child</SIZE>[/FONT]
More than $100 per month per child</SIZE>[/FONT]

The purchases are made when:[/SIZE]</SIZE>
On impulse</SIZE>[/FONT]
My kids have been on their best behavior</SIZE>[/FONT]
As a bribe</SIZE>[/FONT]
Out of guilt for working long hours</SIZE>[/FONT]
To avoid a scene at the store</SIZE>[/FONT]
Other</SIZE>[/FONT]

For expensive items like handheld games and iPods my kids contribute:</SIZE>[/FONT]
$0 toward the purchase</SIZE>[/FONT]
Their allowance toward the purchase</SIZE>[/FONT]
½ of the purchase</SIZE>[/FONT]
More than ½ of the purchase</SIZE>[/FONT]

At what age do you think children begin to differentiate between commercials and programming on TV?</SIZE>[/FONT]
Around age 3 or 4[/SIZE]</SIZE>
Around age 5 or 6</SIZE>[/FONT]
Around age 7 or 8</SIZE>[/FONT]
None of the above</SIZE>[/FONT]

Which of the following age groups do you believe $20 billion a year is spent marketing to:</SIZE>[/FONT]
Ages 13 and up[/SIZE]</SIZE>
Ages 9 to 12</SIZE>[/FONT]
Ages 6 to 8</SIZE>[/FONT]
Ages 3 to 5</SIZE>[/FONT]
Ages 0 to 3</SIZE>[/FONT]

Which of the following describe how you feel posessions reflect personal success</SIZE>[/FONT]
Completely agree[/SIZE]</SIZE>
Somewhat Agree</SIZE>[/FONT]
Somewhat Disagree</SIZE>[/FONT]
Completely Disagree</SIZE>[/FONT]
No opinion</SIZE>[/FONT]

In the past 90 days, how may items would you estimate your child or children requested by brand ? (ie: new Nikes instead of new shoes, iPod instead of mp3 player)</SIZE>[/FONT]
0-3 [/SIZE]</SIZE>
4-7</SIZE>[/FONT]
8-10</SIZE>[/FONT]
More than 10</SIZE>[/FONT]

When your child outgrows a toy or clothing, which of the following is the most likely fate of the item?[/SIZE]</SIZE>
Handed down to a younger sibling, other relative or neighbor</SIZE>[/FONT]
Donated to thrift stores such as Goodwill or DAV or ARC</SIZE>[/FONT]
Sold in the next yard sale or to a resale shop like Once Upon a Child</SIZE>[/FONT]
Discarded in the trash</SIZE>[/FONT]

Which of the following conditions does your family have regarding the purchase of new toys or clothing items?</SIZE>[/FONT]
We only purchase clothes and toys when replacing other similar items due to condition or having been outgrown</SIZE>[/FONT]
Usually only purchase items to replace similar items due to condition or having been outgrown, but occasionally splurge on new items</SIZE>[/FONT]
We let our kids get what they want frequently, but only if we can afford it</SIZE>[/FONT]
We let our kids get what they want whenever they want, they are only kids once</SIZE>[/FONT]

Which of the following describes your child or childrens concept of money</SIZE>[/FONT]
My kids have a great concept of money, what it takes to earn money and how much things cost. They have been taught to save for things they really want and often find they don’t really want something they may have gotten on impulse had we allowed it.</SIZE>[/FONT]
My kids have a somewhat realistic concept of money, however, I don’t believe they understand money management they way adults do. They may understand cost but not what is involved in earning the amount of money they would like to spend.</SIZE>[/FONT]
My kids have no concept of money. They know their parents have some money, so they tend to assume we can afford anything they ask for. They have no idea how cost relates to earnings.</SIZE>[/FONT]
My kids are too young to have developed a concept of money yet.</SIZE>[/FONT]