Ex-Mother collapses during trial for murdering daughter by faith healing....

zeitgeist

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2008
<r>They called 911 for her. Slightly better care than her daughter got.<br/>
<br/>
<URL url="</s>DA: Girl Whose Parents Prayed to Defeat Illness Suffered 'Needless' Death - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com<e></e></URL><br/>

<QUOTE><s>
</s>WAUSAU, Wis. — A Weston woman, accused of praying instead of seeking medical attention for her dying daughter, suffered a medical emergency as her homicide trial got under way but appeared OK about 30 minutes later.<br/>
...<br/>
<br/>
While she was being examined by paramedics in the office, her defense attorney, Gene Linehan, told the judge Neumann was suffering a total physical and emotional breakdown.<br/>
<br/>
"She claimed she has no feeling in her arms and legs," Linehan said, telling the judge Neumann could not participate in her defense in her current state.<br/>
<br/>
The judge agreed to a recess, saying Neumann "needs a medical evaluation, not a judicial one, at least at this stage."<br/>
<br/>
About 30 minutes later Neumann was brought back to the courtroom in a wheelchair. Her attorney indicated she was going to be OK.<br/>
...<br/>
Neumann is charged with second-degree reckless homicide in the Easter 2008 death of her 11-year-old daughter Madeline from undiagnosed diabetes. The charge carries a maximum penalty of 25 years in prison.<br/>
<br/>
Neumann has said her family believes in the Bible, which says healing comes from God, and she never expected her daughter to die.<br/>
<br/>
According to the criminal complaint, Madeline's father considered the girl's illness "a test of faith" and <B><s></s>Neumann never considered taking the girl to the doctor because she thought her daughter was under a "spiritual attack."<e></e></B><br/>
<br/>
The family does not belong to an organized religion or faith, Neumann has said.<br/>
<br/>
During opening statements, Assistant District Attorney LaMont Jacobson told the jury this case isn't about religious freedom or religious rights.<br/>
<br/>
"This case is about Madeline Neumann's needless suffering and death," he said.<br/>
<br/>
Jacobson recounted a chronology of events leading up to Madeline's death and got as far as the night before the girl — called Kara by her parents— died.<br/>
<br/>
"Kara was left to lay on a couch overnight in a coma and nothing was done," he said.<br/>
<br/>
It was about that point that Neumann started putting her head down. Jacobson continued, describing how Madeline was lying on the floor, neither talking nor eating.<br/>
<br/>
By nightfall on the eve of her death, Madeline was "completely helpless" and Neumann commented to a friend, "she sensed the spirit or Angel of Death present at her home," Jacobson said.<br/>
<br/>
Moments later the defense raised its concerns about Neumann's health.<br/>
<br/>
An autopsy has determined that Madeline died from diabetes that left her with too little insulin in her body. The girl likely had some symptoms of the disease for several weeks and months, court records said.<br/>
<br/>
The girl was finally taken to a hospital after other family members, including one in California, called 911 to seek emergency help but it was too late.<br/>
<br/>
The parents told investigators Madeline had not been to a doctor since she was 3.<br/>
<br/>
Linehan has said<B><s></s> Neumann, a 41-year-old mother of<COLOR color="Red"><s></s> three other children<e></e></COLOR><e></e></B>, is expected to testify in her own defense.<br/>
<br/>
Her husband, Dale Neumann, is also charged with second-degree reckless homicide. His trial starts July 23.
<e>
</e></QUOTE>

My initial reaction is that they should throw the book at her. I mean - Seriously? Faith healing for diabetes? That wasn't a quick death either, she had every opportunity in the world to come to the conclusion that it wasn't working and call a doctor.<br/>
<br/>
And yet suffering "a total physical and emotional breakdown" as her daughter's ordeal is described says to me that she knows exactly whose fault it is that her daughter is dead. <br/>
<br/>
So I have to start to think about the nature of our prison system. The more accurate term for 'prison' these days is 'correctional facility.' The jailers are called 'corrections officers.' <br/>
<br/>
She's going to have to live with her guilt forever; whether she had the best intentions or not she neglected her child to death &lt;I&gt;&lt;s&gt;<I>&lt;/s&gt;and she knows it&lt;e&gt;</I>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/I&gt;. Chances are pretty darn good that she won't do it again.&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
So here's my suggestion: 5 years probation, and take away her other three children. She's allowed supervised visits, but never allowed to have custody of any child again.&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
Those poor other children. Maybe the family members who had the sense to call 911 for Madeline can give them a home where they won't be prayed to death.&lt;/r&gt;

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Agreed. IMO we are to quick to incarcerate for non-volient crimes of people who realy are not a threat to the general public. It really irks me when we are letting people who could potentially harm my family, friends or the public in general due to over crowding. When we continue to lock up people whose crimes are specific to their circumstances and can be effectively dealt with by other punitive measures. How many time have we read about a child predator with mutple convictions reoffending after he was released due to overcrowding.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
this just breaks my heart...personally I think she belongs in a hospital, she's obviously in need of some serious help. Putting her in prison won't "fix" her but she deserves to spend the rest of her life away from the people she loves

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Id like to test the fathers faith. Why arent we hearing about him being charged??

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Her husband, Dale Neumann, is also charged with second-degree reckless homicide. His trial starts July 23.
this was the last line in the artical, he's being charged as well

zeitgeist

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2008
bssage said:
Id like to test the fathers faith. Why arent we hearing about him being charged??
His trial hasn't started yet, but it is scheduled. We're hearing about her first because her trial started sooner.

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
has the dad's trial started yet?

this might get muddled.....
:arghh:now i'm all for faith. we all need faith in something. but there is a reason we were all given a working brain. this aggravates me to the point of no end. did the woman and her dh along with others like her ever stop to think that we were given working brains and medicine and so on to do god's work????!!!!!!!:arghh:

:mad: woman should be in a mental health facility. the dad too!