Fiance is demanding i sleep train baby

Mariamez2828

Jan 12, 2022
I'm going to try to keep this short. Quite frankly this is my last resort. I need advice from other parents that's not biased. I have a 20 month old that I still breastfeed. I don't have an issue with it but my fiance does. She is not sleep trained as she still wakes up to eat about twice during the night. I work full time but from home so I don't mind. But he does as he says that it cuts into our time. He wants me to stop breastfeeding and CIO with her to sleep train. I get sexy time is down, I do and can probably stop breastfeeding but don't think I will be able to sleep train her with the cry it out method. It will be too hard. Alot of time is taken up with work, baby, cleaning cooking and he doesn't help which would help with managing time better. On the days I get off work at 6 30, I have to cook then clean and take care of toddler. By the time I'm done I'm exhausted. And on the days I don't work I have so much household stuff to do I'm also exhausted by the end of day. I am trying to minimize the amount of household work that I do on my work days and spread it out. I have bought paper plates to minimize kitchen cleaning. I'm not saying he doesn't help out just to say it, he does it rarely and only when i nag him. And he yelled at me the last time I asked him to vacuume so I have stopped asking him to help me. I vacuume everyday but the house hasn't been mopped in two weeks. The other day, after cooking and cleaning the dining room and living room, I asked him to vacuume while I bathed her. He said no just no. So I did it real quickly and then bathed her. I'm the only one that does the laundry he will not do it. At all. So I get sexy time is down, but I'm struggling how to handle being a full time mama and wife. How do I juggle and balance everything out. We are starting to argue alot and he's starting to get resentful and snappy with me which doesn't help me at all when I am doing so much already. I'm starting to feel depressed and I k ow there has to be a healthy balance and median between baby and husband. I just I just don't know what to do anymore. I just need some ideas on how to balance and spread everything out.maybe I don't clean the kitchen one day. I've stopped doing laundry during the days I work already. He does watch her while I work and he works from home, he has his own business. But he tells me once I'm done with work he's done for the day. Doesnt have to help out anymore. And on the days, I don't work, that's his time. He can sit and lay in front of the TV for hours.

Last edited:

Moonstone

Nov 9, 2020
USA
Why do you vacuum every day? That seems pretty excessive. My husband has a lower standard of clean than I do, so with a toddler and twins in the NICU that I visit every night, I do very minimal housework. Dishes daily and laundry weekly. I'll pick up toys at night just to make a safe path to walk but that's it. It'll just become a mess the next morning anyway so why bother really making it tidy?

You'll have a lot more energy if you sleep train. For starters you won't be waking up in the night. The sooner you do it the better but it'll probably still be a struggle since your child is pretty old already. I sleep trained my daughter at 6 months. It took 3 days to get her sleeping through the night for two weeks straight, and only occasionally taking 1-2 nights to get back into the swing if something happened to make her take a step back (ex: thunder storm or wind storm). She now consistently sleeps for 11 hours through the night.

I also think breastfeeding is taking a lot of your energy. I stopped breastfeeding at 6 months as well. Now I give my daughter 2 pump sessions worth of milk a day since I'm pumping for the twins anyway and making so much.

Cry it out method is hard but it works. Are you able to take a week of vacation from work to try getting your child sleep trained? I suggest very method and just have some beers or wone and a show to marathon as you very along with your child a few nights. It'll be hard but worth the effort.

Good luck!