Finding the right crib...

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
<t>For many parents, setting up the nursery includes setting up the crib. The walls are painted the perfect color, the furniture is picked, and the theme is settled on. Then there is the crib.<br/>
<br/>
Heirloom or new? The idea of passing on a crib is one thing many parents dream of. They have been saving it for years just waiting for their future grandchildren, but is it the right choice and what about second-hand cribs? With tough economic times, many parents are finding themselves looking at gently used cribs. Here are things to consider before making a choice.<br/>
<br/>
First look at the slats. They should be no more 2-3/8 inches wide. The headboard should have no cut outs and the baby's arms and legs should not be able to fit through any gaps.<br/>
<br/>
Make sure that all hardware is accounted for, it fits securely, and no bolts, nuts, or other hardware is exposed.<br/>
<br/>
If the crib has corner posts, they should not extend more the 1/16 inches above the rails. If the crib has finials, decorative ornaments on the corners, they need to be at least 16 inches above the rails to help prevent clothing and other articles from getting caught on them.<br/>
<br/>
Make sure the mattress frame is secure and cannot be pushed upwards from the bottom.<br/>
<br/>
Check with the manufacturer and make sure that there has not been a recall on the crib.<br/>
<br/>
Another thing to consider is that the only thing that should be placed inside a newborns crib is a nice firm mattress and some tight fitting sheets. Things like pillows, comforters, and bumpers do not belong in the crib; these things could lead to suffocation. Make sure to place cribs away from windows or blinds, and avoid using mobiles. If you feel the need for a mobile make sure to place it high enough that it is out of reach, and remove it at night.<br/>
<br/>
Blankets are considered another no-no. If you are worried about your newborn or infant getting cold, look into sleep sacks. They are a great way to keep your baby warm without running the risk of a blanket getting pulled over the head at night.<br/>
<br/>
The first time you lay eyes on your perfect bundle of joy, you’ll be very thankful that you took the time to make sure his or her new environment is the safest place possible. Parents already have enough to worry about; one less thing can only make their job easier.</t>

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
And if you are a really short couple, like me and my husband, make sure the sides arent too high.

We had to return the first crib we bought, because after we put it together, we realised we would have to stand on something to get Dita in and out.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
While I agree with all the safety Info, I'm glad we are done with cribs. I can't imagine how we would have dealt with a 15 pound baby without drop sides....

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
My youngest has one of the new cribs without the drop side. They make them much closer to the floor now and the side rail that you get baby from is at the absolute minimum height (while still being safe) as pretty much a general rule, the whole getup is a lot lower in the new cribs to make up for the fact that the side doesn't drop. I'm 5'2" and I never have any problem getting YDS (25lbs lol) in or out of it. I had the same fears after using a drop side for my ODS, turns out there was nothing to worry about.

I only use the crib at naps though cause I don't trust him not to use his ninja skills to jump off of our bed without me hearing him when he wakes up while I'm not in there. Otherwise he sleeps in our bed with us.

Last edited:

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Xero said:
My youngest has one of the new cribs without the drop side. They make them much closer to the floor now and the side rail that you get baby from is at the absolute minimum height (while still being safe) as pretty much a general rule, the whole getup is a lot lower in the new cribs to make up for the fact that the side doesn't drop. I'm 5'2" and I never have any problem getting YDS (25lbs lol) in or out of it. I had the same fears after using a drop side for my ODS, turns out there was nothing to worry about.

I only use the crib at naps though cause I don't trust him not to use his ninja skills to jump off of our bed without me hearing him when he wakes up while I'm not in there. Otherwise he sleeps in our bed with us.
Reminds me of the time I thought I had DS1 safely in his pack'n play, went aroumd the corner to put an armload of clothing away, heard a hud, and went back to find kidlet sitting outside the pnp....near as I can figure he flipped himself out and stuck the landing on his butt. No bumps or anything, but the very last time I used that device.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sportate

May 22, 2012
Blankets are considered another no-no. If you are worried about your newborn or infant getting cold, look into sleep sacks. They are a great way to keep your baby warm without running the risk of a blanket getting pulled over the head at night

I have 5 Grandchildren and they have all used sleep sacks. These have been wonderful for keeping them warm and cuddly. One of the great benefits to sleep sacks is that children can not raise their legs so it hinders their ability to get out of the cribs. Our twin Granddaughters who will b 3 in June are just now transitioning from their cribs to beds have just given up their sleep sacks in favor of "big girl sheets and blankets".
The lower cribs are great for saving one's back.:wub:

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
I'm 5'0" and as soon as I heard about a potential dropside ban, I purchased one as soon as possible! My first child co-slept with me at night and at nap times, but I realized that would create some challenges with the second-born, so I was determined to have a crib on hand. I have no idea what I would do without drop sides! Those fixed-side cribs looked pretty daunting to me when I was shopping back in 2008. I'm glad to hear that they've lowered the crib height in general, but I'm skeptical that it'd be low enough for me!

csdax

PF Enthusiast
May 5, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for putting in the part about no bumper pads, etc. The problem is that the stores, magazines and flyers all show them with bumpers, toys, blankets and heavy comforters in them, so many parents think it's just 'weird' or even 'mean' to have such a plain boring crib. I wish stores would show the display models without bumpers etc. Also people are worried about kids hurting themselves by getting their legs stuck between the bars. I've had many 'debates' with parents about bruised kids vs. potentially non-breathing kids!

kidsaregreat

Jun 1, 2012
Thanks for all the crib suggestions on here. I know that this is a late post but it was still very helpful!

LorroVan

Dec 7, 2012
London
I think it could possibly be more important to focus on an appropriate mattress or equivalent sleeping surface rather than a crib as this will impact far more on your childs health and well being. While it may not be the best memory foam mattress you invest in, a soft yet supportive bed to lie on should be your highest priority IMO

LisaCarlton72

Apr 24, 2014
Hey, mom2many. Thank you for this thread.

You are right a crib is important. And it also important to have a good crib mattress.

When I first decided to buy a crib and searched Google and online shops I found that there are tons of models. So, I was confused. (this idea motivated me to create my blog).

And I think that the same happens today. So, in my opinion sometimes it's not easy to choose the best crib.

Lisa

georges87

Aug 26, 2014
Thank you so much for starting this thread.

Thanks to the internet and forums like this one, parents can now compare, and shop for baby cribs at the comfort of their living room.

ewindsor

Jan 30, 2015
hi mom2many,
Thanks for all the information in your post.

Picking a crib seems so difficult at the beginning. My husband and I decided to buy a convertible crib, to save money by having a baby crib, toddler bed &amp; single bed in one. With the difficult economic times this made the most sense to us.

Emma

Last edited:

johnmike

Aug 21, 2015
Everynew born needs cribs and as a parents you should not buy used baby cribs for the safety.If you realy so serious about your baby safety I will recommend you convertible baby cribs.You should read review on web before buying any cribs.You can take a look at http://thebestbabycribs.com/ for the best baby cribs.

http://thebestbabycribs.com/

Last edited:

johnmike

Aug 21, 2015
you can also choose round baby cribs as round baby cribs is best for small spaces.

Last edited:

learningfather

Aug 21, 2015
I'll be honest, the first "crib" we bought for my daughter, was a pack &amp; play and we did do the research for it, only to realize that they only work for babies up to 35 lbs. Fast foward to now when my baby is 7 months, we actually just went to Ikea and bought the crib that they sell and while I didn't do as much homework as I did the first time, I gotta say I'm pretty happy with it. They did recall the mattress because there was a big gap but we have the correct sized one.
Any one looking to get one should check them out. They're cheap and nice.