First time swimming!...

button611

PF Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2008
We are planning on taking Bailey swimming for the first time today. I am so excited she loves the water soo much that I am hoping that she will have a blast. Since this is the first time-is there anything that I should be aware of or watch out for. We bought her a sit in floatation device so that when she is wet and slippery we don't drop her, but things like chlorine and such should be ok for her skin right? Anyway just wanted to share our exciting day, she is busy napping resting up for the big day!:p

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
I wish it was warm enough to go swimming here. Are you going to a public pool? If so, swim diapers are required. Our public pool doesn't allow floaty devices or toys in the main pool, only in the toddler/wading pool.

button611

PF Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2008
Yes it is an indoor public pool, we have swim diapers at the readya nd we will have to see if the floaty is allowed, I would think it would be since she is only 9 mos. old, although water wings aren't allowed??? Wish us a succesful first attempt at swimming.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
That's so awesome. She's going to probably love it or be really scared. lol How is she in the bath tub? Some babies love the water and you can even teach them to hold their breath and go down under the water. Since this is her first time, see if she will blow bubbles on the water.
I never really taught mine to swim. We just kept going to the pool in the shallow end and they taught themselves. Of course I stayed close by.
Hope you have a great day!

button611

PF Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2008
she LOVES the bath so I am thinking that it will be a good time. Well we are off here in a few minutes, we will be taking the camera to keep memories of the first swim, hopefully we will be able to post pics this evening.

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
I'd be surprised if they allow the floaty - except as mentioned in the wading pool.
As a former lifeguard, I think the primary reason for that it that many parents are just too irresponsible and put the responsibility for safety on the floaty, not themselves. I assume you are not - but they can't make rules that apply to this person and not that one. A blanket rule is really necessary.
They should definately NEVER be used in a wave pool. They flip over when the waves him, and baby can end up underwater with their legs stuck in the floaty.

I used to take my son all the time, and slipperyness was really never a problem. I don't know why - cuz we all know they are slippery little buggers when you take then out of the tub!

button611

PF Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2008
ok here are some pics of bailey's first swim day

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g232/atkins28/IMG_0671.jpg[/URL]

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g232/atkins28/IMG_0670.jpg[/URL]

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
OMG how cute is she!!!!! I love the first one, what a big happy smile!!!!

Also Nihcole had that swimsuit last year!!! lol