For All You Who Text and Drive...

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
I get nasty with people.... don't text me while I'm driving! I won't answer you! And I use a bluetooth headset when I drive.

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
I dont talk on the phone at all unless it's an emergency. My family knows only to text me if it's an emergency (if they know I'm driving) and text "911" to my phone, and I will call them.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Its illegal to use a mobile when the engine is running unless you are using hands free and the phone is not on your persons, e.g on your lap in the UK.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
In some states its illegal to use a cell while driving. I personally VERY RARELY use my cell phone in the car. Its there, and if someone calls me and I think it's important enough I'll answer it for a minute and soon inform them "Well I'm driving so I'll talk to you when I get home". I am not confident enough to really use my phone much while driving. My mom does it CONSTANTLY though, all the time. She's never been in an accident except once when she was young a couple kids on a bike were playing chicken and flew into the side of her car. One of them died actually... very very sad. But anyway, she didn't have a cell phone then. So I mean, she's a good driver but she makes me nervous with her texting and talking all the time.

My BF was in a car accident once where a guy hit him at full speed while he was on his phone, smashed him into a telephone pole and crushed his car almost bent in half. Its actually a really dramatic story, because we were on our way to my house and I was driving my mom's car right behind him. I saw the whole thing, it happened so fast it was like a movie. It almost looked like his car exploded, only there was no fire. I was so scared. I parked my car right in the middle of the road and ran over to his car. He wasn't wearing his seatbelt, so his head smashed right into the passenger seat window and shattered it. I thought he was dead when I got to the car. Amazingly enough, he had been listening to a CD really loud and it was still playing so it was really dramatic when I ran up to his lifeless looking body. I was screaming and crying and pulling on the door and it wouldn't open (it was smashed shut) and I didn't know how to work his CD player so I just beat on it until it stopped playing. Then I ran around to the driver's side and opened the door and grabbed him by the shirt to try and pull him out but I couldn't really. I was crying and telling him to wake up and finally he opened his eyes and he looked so confused. He kept asking me "What happened?" and I would say "You got in an accident" and he would get upset and say "what about my car???" And I told him "It's ruined..." And he would start flipping out (because he was mad it was ruined). And then I would hold him and try to make him feel better while people bustled around us and the ambulance came and then he would look at me again as if seeing me for the first time and ask me the exact same questions right in a row again and reacted exactly the same every time. He did that probably 5 or 6 times before the ambulance took him. He had memory trouble like that for a few days, and he had a concussion and some major body pain but he otherwise had no real damage from the accident. :) Still, it was really scary for me and I'll never forget it.

Basically what I'm saying is that I wouldn't have a problem with it if that kind of thing were outlawed where I live.

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
i can't stand to see either the texting or talking on a cell phone while driving. it's Nuts!!! dh and i don't text. kinda high when you use trac phones. if someone calls, we typically pull over or wait to get where we're going. every now and then i might try to answer but that's only if i can pull over to a safe place. even with the dangers, i look at cell phone use this way--you call when you know i aint on the road or don't bother. same as with a land line phone---if you can't call when i'm home don't be expecting a return call if you aint the kiddo's doc., work, or daycare if it aint an emergency and i mean Emergency.
i don't particular care for cell phones, even computers. both are very useful. but i will not go out of my way for either one if it means putting a person's life in danger or not paying a more import bill that is needed.

and i don't believe for one instant that the head sets are safe.

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
Jeremy+3 said:
Is it legal to not wear your seat belt where you live?
you bit the big one with that. it's illegal anywhere in the us to not where a seatbelt. least it was the last time i checked. its okay for adults in the backseats but still safer to wear one than not.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
16th ave. said:
you bit the big one with that. it's illegal anywhere in the us to not where a seatbelt. least it was the last time i checked. its okay for adults in the backseats but still safer to wear one than not.
I know it fairly recently was made a legal requirement in Florida, in some places you don't need to wear a helmet on a motorbike, I think if anyone is that stupid they need their heads looked at!

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
uh huh, yeah, they should and they are nuts if they don't wear a helmet. the "no seat belt" issue can cause ya to get a huge ticket and mess with your insurance here in texas. also every major holiday in alot of areas the local pd's do a clicket or ticket kinda thing where they are out heavily pulling over anyone they catch w/out a seatbelt. its a pretty big deal here esp. out around the small towns.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Here are our laws.

Seatbelts must be worn if you are inside the vehicle.
It is legal to ride in the back of a pick-up, and as far as I can tell there is no age limit.
Cell phones do not have to be hands free.
Texting is still legal while driving.
You don't have to wear a helmet while on a motorcycle (although most do).

I text when I am driving but ONLY if I am on our rural roads. When in the city I do not, if it's important I pull over to do it. I talk on the phone but not often, I know I can not talk and drive (I also can't park while the radio is on). But I do see plenty of people doing both, and it only irks me when you realize the reason they drive like crap is because of the texting and for some the talking.

The day is coming when both will be illegal.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Jeremy+3 said:
Is it legal to not wear your seat belt where you live?
Of course its not legal. It's completely illegal, and when the cop asked me if he was wearing his seat belt I lied and said yes so he wouldn't get fined. :)

What does that have to do with anything?

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Xero said:
Of course its not legal. It's completely illegal, and when the cop asked me if he was wearing his seat belt I lied and said yes so he wouldn't get fined. :)

What does that have to do with anything?
I know it has only become a legal requirement in Florida in the last few weeks so I was wondering if it was still legal not to wear one in any other states. Plus America seems quite lax to me with safety laws, especially no motorbike helmets and using a mobile being legal.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I just don't see a reason for new laws. It's illegal to drive impaired or distracted in most if not all states. I say, cops start writing tickets and leave the lawmakers out of it, it's just a waste of legislative time.

If we're going to have specific laws about cell phones and texting then, why not a law about changing a CD, or lighting a cigarette, or opening a box of candy, or a big mac box.....?

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
They are trying to here, because, say if I was driving and smoking, unless a policeman sees that I am driving erratically, he can't pull me over about smoking, with a law in place, he can and he can take action against the driver. Having one hand busy is very very dangerous, what ever road, what ever car.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Father_0f_6 said:
It's been a legal requirement in Florida for a couple years now actually.
Police have only been allowed to stop motorists since 30th June for not wearing seat belts, my brother in law lives there and people are going mad and petitioning against it as it infringes on their human rights, idiots!