For All You Who Text and Drive...

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
Anyone with any sense of logic would disagree with that. Phones cause distraction, alcohol screws up your mental faculties all together.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Dadu2004 said:
Anyone with any sense of logic would disagree with that. Phones cause distraction, alcohol screws up your mental faculties all together.
Firstly, thankyou for ignoring the links. Any sense of logic would listen to thousands of people carrying out and publishing this work (not just in the UK) and actually time the time to realise, oh more car deaths and insurance claims by drivers using mobiles than those who are drunk.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
isn't it kind of a pointless stat? It seems like saying death by multiple stab wounds is faster than death by slitting the throat...does it really matter which is MORE dangerous?

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
Jeremy+3 said:
Firstly, thankyou for ignoring the links. Any sense of logic would listen to thousands of people carrying out and publishing this work (not just in the UK) and actually time the time to realise, oh more car deaths and insurance claims by drivers using mobiles than those who are drunk.
I'm not going to sit here and argue semantics with you. Both are dangerous.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
IADad said:
isn't it kind of a pointless stat? It seems like saying death by multiple stab wounds is faster than death by slitting the throat...does it really matter which is MORE dangerous?
No, especially when people are here are telling people, hey talk on your mobile when driving, then someone applauds them!

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
This one
Quote: Dadu2004
Originally Posted by AshleyEA
i think that if you have something that has to be said right away and you cant wait till you get where you are going.. you should just call not text.
Amen to that!

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
I was refering to the fact that it takes much more distraction off of the road by texting than by calling. Something can be said in 2 minutes by a call than 10 minutes by text.

Next time, clarify.... don't assume.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Dadu2004 said:
I was refering to the fact that it takes much more distraction off of the road by texting than by calling. Something can be said in 2 minutes by a call than 10 minutes by text.

Next time, clarify.... don't assume.
They are both just as irresponsible, people with the opinion that is okay to use a mobile when driving are the ones killing people, causes horrific crashes and knocking people off their bikes.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
Jeremy+3 said:
They are both just as irresponsible, people with the opinion that is okay to use a mobile when driving are the ones killing people, causes horrific crashes and knocking people off their bikes.
I'm done arguing with you.... drop it.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Jeremy+3 said:
Jeremy, I hope you realize that those statistics are only the way they are because damn near everybody drives while talking on their cell phone, but most people I know try their hardest to avoid driving while drunk. So obviously there will be more reports taken from the millions of people who drive while they're on the phone with their mom today than there will be from the dozens of people who sneakily drive home from the bar drunk tonight cause they don't feel like calling anybody. So I don't see how you can possibly feel like that honestly holds complete truth. I have been drunk before. I'm pretty sure I'd do a better job driving when I answered my mom's phone call than if I tried to drive when I was done at the bar.

Have you ever drank alcohol before?? I'm confused as to how you so die-heartedly believe this. :/

The only study I'll believe when I see it is if they take three drunk people and three people on their cell phones and set them all (on different days, not at the same time) to drive down the same road with the same obstacles in the same weather and see who gets in a crash first (if at all).

I just wanted to point out how silly it is for you to be so sure about something that doesn't make any sense, to the point where you become cocky about it. Those studies don't show crap. And you're not a scientist. You're just a guy, and you can't assume you know something just because you read an article that suggested it on the internet.

(especially an article based upon the very FIRST study done, and using only 20 people under who knows what conditions and what mind set)

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Jeremy+3 said:

You're just trying to be right.

The facts hold true that you have to TAKE YOUR EYES OFF THE ROAD to look at the phone and press buttons WITH YOUR HANDS and use your MIND to determine spelling and what not to TEXT. A phone call takes one hand (or none if you have an ear piece) and your voice. They are both dangerous, and both distractions, and both require your attention where it is better used on the road in front of you, but it's perfectly obvious that texting while driving is far more dangerous than just talking. I'm sorry about what happened to your son, and I would never wish that upon anyone, but this topic is not about him or his situation, and its not about drunk people, and its not even really about talking on the phone and driving. It's about texting and driving. Don't get nasty by making it personal.

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
:eek: what did i miss???!!! get a job and all the action starts.:mad::D:p

well put xero. dadu you too.:)

i agree with them both. you can't really compare statistics of drunk driving with statistics of cell phone/driving use. a person's mind is impaired and not thinking clearly with one. with the other, a person's mind is just distracted.

definitely not a good comparison.

jeremy, am sorry for any loss due to the use of either. it can never be easy for anyone to use a loved one, but most especially when a parent looses their child.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
He didn't lose a child, 16th ave.

http://www.parentingforums.org/f8/spent-last-week-hospital-8848.html[/URL]

Some a-hole drove by and hit his son while he was riding his bike and didn't even stop to see if he was okay and live up to his crime. It was pretty messed up, and the poor kid is really hurt bad. But thankfully nobody died.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Xero said:
Jeremy, I hope you realize that those statistics are only the way they are because damn near everybody drives while talking on their cell phone, but most people I know try their hardest to avoid driving while drunk. So obviously there will be more reports taken from the millions of people who drive while they're on the phone with their mom today than there will be from the dozens of people who sneakily drive home from the bar drunk tonight cause they don't feel like calling anybody. So I don't see how you can possibly feel like that honestly holds complete truth. I have been drunk before. I'm pretty sure I'd do a better job driving when I answered my mom's phone call than if I tried to drive when I was done at the bar.

Have you ever drank alcohol before?? I'm confused as to how you so die-heartedly believe this. :/

The only study I'll believe when I see it is if they take three drunk people and three people on their cell phones and set them all (on different days, not at the same time) to drive down the same road with the same obstacles in the same weather and see who gets in a crash first (if at all).

I just wanted to point out how silly it is for you to be so sure about something that doesn't make any sense, to the point where you become cocky about it. Those studies don't show crap. And you're not a scientist. You're just a guy, and you can't assume you know something just because you read an article that suggested it on the internet.

(especially an article based upon the very FIRST study done, and using only 20 people under who knows what conditions and what mind set)
If you see my previous posts, the published articles are copyrighted(as are all scientific papers), so you cannot read them online only at libraries or on blackboard (if you are a teacher you'll be able to take a look), the articles were just examples as I stated. Also in the UK is it is just as illegal to use a mobile phone while driving as it is to drink drive, there are more cases of people drink driving in the UK than driving on a mobile. The figures for accidents with mobiles still remain far higher than with drink driving.

This is what happened in one of the published studies (2006)
500 people were used, they had to drive through a course normally sober no distractions, drive using a hands free mobile, drive while talking on a hand held mobile and then drive at three times the legal limit. The hand held mobile and hands free only have one result below, as the groups showed almost identical results. Each test was carried out on a different day, the same time of day and on the same course with the same weather conditions, the same car was used as well.

Each driver had to stick to a certain speed 30 mph, do maneuvers and an emergency stop, park and take a certain route, experience normal road features, traffic lights, zebra crossings, give way.

The people using the hand held mobile phone were 9% slower to react to the emergency stop than those who were drunk, who were 1% slower than the non-distracted sober driver. The people on the mobiles 24% swerved fully onto the other side of the road due to a slow emergency stop. Out of the other groups, 1% of sober non-distracted drivers, 6% of drunk drivers swerved. The rate of speed variance in the non-distracted group was 4%, 13% in the drunk group and 19% in the mobile group.
Twelve people using hand held mobiles (this one doesn't include hands free) rear ended the pace car, one happened in the emergency stop, the others were at traffic lights.

Also, I am a scientist, so if you ever want anything cloning, I'm your man!

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Conveniently, a study that I can't read. And conveniently, you ARE a scientist. :p Lol okay I'll let you have it cause I'm feeling particularly less ambitious today, and that was just all around kind of funny.

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
I wonder what those percentages would be on the drunk-driving bastards who also happen to be drunk-dialing at the same time :D

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I'm feeling a sudden urge to....darn, I can't even make the snarky comment I really really want to because I know fallon or Dadu are going to remind me not too...(it had something to do with Tea though.....)

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
IADad said:
I'm feeling a sudden urge to....darn, I can't even make the snarky comment I really really want to because I know fallon or Dadu are going to remind me not too...(it had something to do with Tea though.....)
HAH! :laugh:

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
IADad said:
HAHAHAHA!!! Lol!!!!!! Wooooo. :D

Well if he's any where near as correct on this as he is his assumptions on breast milk banks... well lets just leave it at that. lmao