From Edmonton...

Trinia

Mar 10, 2015
Edmonton
Hi I am a single mother from Edmonton.
I have two boys ages 10 & 13.
I am looking for new ideas, activities for my boys to get off the video games.
They dont like sports so Im kind of in a pickle as to what else they can do inside the house and out.
Thanks Trinia

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
They likely won't take interest in anything as long as they're comparing it to videogames. Take away the videogames and they might just learn to like something!

One of the things I struggled with when my kids were young was getting them to eat vegetables. I tried a lot of different ones, which they were all required to try once, and now I pretty much let them choose. They each have their favorites. But if I had left ice cream as an option, they never would have learned to like any vegetables. No vegetables can compete with ice cream! But for me, it's not about appeasing their taste buds, it's about keeping them healthy. If we can appease the taste buds too, then great. That's why I let them choose their veggies.

It sounds like you want your kids to have something productive and healthy in their lives, and it's not likely that you'll find something like that which is on par with videogames, in terms of fun. So I suspect you'll have to take videogames off the table, initially. Treat them like dessert. Don't introduce them back into their lives until they've found more wholesome hobbies, and then offer it with restrictions and limitations (such as only after homework, and only for an hour).

And remember, few things are fun at first. Be persistent.

Trinia

Mar 10, 2015
Edmonton
Hi akmom. Thanks for your reply. Its a good idea. Ive been contemplating for a few weeks taking games away for awhile so we'll see how it goes. I just got them a new kitten so they have something new to play with.
Thanks Trinia

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
There are lots of other activities that don't involve sports. Videos games are a big deal to kids and adults these days. It's not as bad as it seems. There are extracurricular courses called Coding, where you can learn to make video games, websites and what not. There's plenty of socializing and a chance to network with other aspiring gamers and game makers that can be beneficial in case they do want to make a career out of video and computer games. Even if just for fun, they will develop an appreciation to the work and creativity involved in making their favourite games. I'm just giving a different perspective, a suggestion.

Of course they need a balance. The Leisure Guide has a lot of different activities you can enroll your kids in. The length of the activities varies but they are usually 6-8 weeks and don't cost too much. It's perfect if you just want them to try it out and are not sure if it's something they like or not, so if they decide an activity is not for them, it's not as big of a deal if they quit. They can get into as many activities the schedules of the activities allow and they can choose something different each time. Some activities, such as photography, require you to bring your own equipment or supplies, while others provide it for you, like art.

There are lot's of physical activities that are deemed sports but are not team sports. Perhaps they like dance (tap, jazz, hip hop, ballet) there's nothing wrong with this at all, and males who do dance develop respect towards females, plus it builds confidence, discipline and maturity. There's also martial arts, which does the same thing and it also gets out their aggression in a healthy way. Ice skating, like figure skating, can be expensive but if you can afford it that would also be an idea.

People who like video games like the control and creativity and imagination they can't get in real life. It's an escape to them.
Get them involved in daily activities, such as cooking. Try having one or 2 days a week where your kids decide what to make for dinner and have them cook it. If they need help that's fine, but just try to give them the control of the kitchen. Have them do more chores. My dad and step-mom always kept my half brothers busy. They own a farm with horses, chicken, cattle, dogs and cats. Plus there was housework to be done, they had part time jobs and extracurricular activities and homework and were under constant pressure to be straight A students. Whenever they had a free moment they were playing video games, working out or doing some sort of hobby. You don't need to be this extreme, but it does build character and responsibility when they are included in household roles. If you can, tell them you will increase their allowance if they can keep up with their chores and maintain a good attitude.

During summer, you can enroll them in camp. There are different types: day camps, overnight camps, activity specific camps. You can check out your local community centre's. Sometimes they have summer programs, where your kids can go for a day or half a day at a sort of program, where a few older teens entertain younger kids while their parents are at work. I went to one when I was 13 or 14. We played games, sang songs, went to the park. There were kids of all ages. It's not a daycare but it was ran like one. We even got to go swimming and other field trips, made bracelets and other crafts. It was more like a day camp, I guess, but run out the community centre.

Other ideas, you can enter them on a bowling team, cooking classes, sewing classes, get them a skateboard, etc. When I was young, the parents liked to just kick us outside, and we would have to find something to do.