Fun winter activities...

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
With winter upon us, keeping our children entertained can be a little challenging. It really can be a pain getting the kids loaded up in their winter gear to send them outside, and while some love the cold and love playing in it, others don’t. So what's a parent to do?

There are of course those good old-fashioned standbys: coloring books, finger paints, puzzles, and Play Doh. Yes, I know Play Doh makes many of us cringe since clean-up can be such a pain, but for kids it really can be hours of fun.

Eventually, though, even those things start to get stale. This is one of those times that as a parent, I just love the internet. It can be a great place for resources, and as a homeschooling mom I am always trying to find ways to work in the holidays as part of our curriculum.

With the holidays fast approaching, finding fun activities is a little easier. I thought I would share a few of my favorites.

Thanksgiving:
* How about a blessing tree? This is place to put all of the things you are thankful for.
* How about a hand photo frame? I love this one, even for the older kids.
* Then there is Enchanted Learning, which has some great printables for the younger kids.

Christmas:
* My personal favorite is popsicle snowflakes. We had hours of fun with this one and they make great decorations.
* Advent calendars are a great way to count down the days.
* How about these ornaments and their cute little play on the hand turkeys?

Of course don’t forget after a long hard day of crafts, or a winter play to sit and relax with a nice hot cup of cocoa.

Last edited:

Shaun Austin

Banned
Oct 22, 2012
Great ideas M2M. if you have any more that will be great as Charlotte will be becoming a SAHM at least until 5 and 6 are school age so these kind of things are great anyone who has any activities like these to entertain youngsters.

LaraWard

Dec 11, 2012
Some great ideas here, will be very useful keeping the kids entertained over the winter break.

amoss

Mar 1, 2013
Being cooped up is a drag, read my article http://www.helium.com/items/2382584-preschool-crafts-five-fun-things-to-do-with-yarn[/url] for some great ideas for indoor fun with yarn! And remember, spring is just around the corner.:cool:

fingertooth

Oct 31, 2015
If you're looking for crafting activities this winter, my sister in-law and her husband just started up a wood crafting business with the projects they do with their kids. All the supplies are provided with a subscription. https://www.facebook.com/Kids-WoodCraft-399610830235620/?fref=ts[/url]