Gassy 1 Month old baby and Formula feeding

NewDaddy4328

Jul 9, 2021
Hi Everyone. So I wanted to put this out there so that somebody that knows better can point me in the right direction.

Me and my wife's 1 month old daughter is having some issues with gas and formula feeding. My wife was never really motivated with breast feeding and is pretty much giving up on it other than pumping every couple days or so. Our baby is more than likely going to be strictly formula fed.

She was initially given instant Enfamil NeuroPro formula at the hospital and we don't remember any issues with gas with that. After the first week, we switched her to the powdered version of Enfamil NeuroPro and things have slowly been ramping up since then.

Over the past few weeks we've been noticing that she's getting consistent gas pain cries every so often, like maybe 1 to 2 times a day. Today we had an episode that was really bad and it took a while, a couple extra diaper changes, and a couple more small formula feeds than normal to get her to calm down.

We've tried using different formulas such as Enfamil GentleEase and Enspire, and Similac Pro-Total Comfort for a couple to a few days at a time and they've all seemed to make her gas/bowel movements even worse than the NeuroPro. My wife and I have given up on trying different formulas because they've all seem to go bad.

We even tried Gripe Water for about 3 or 4 feedings in a row one time and it didn't seem to help much. Does anyone have any advice on things to try that couple help alleviate this?

Reactions: Jessicak

Moonstone

Nov 9, 2020
USA
My baby was colic for the first 5 months. Hopefully that's not what you're experiencing. Try laying her on your legs with her belly down (or in your arm with her head cradled in your hand and feet over the sides). Also, try gently moving her legs in a bicycle motion, curling up her little booty, some gentle circular motions with her hips. See if that helps get the gas out.

NewDaddy4328

Jul 9, 2021
@Moonstone I'm not even really sure how to tell if it's gas, colic, gas FROM the colic, or whatever it is. I was laying her pretty flat feeding initially, but I started trying what you suggested with propping on the legs. I saw the bicycle motion with the legs from some quick searches before too, she seems to get a little quiet when you first start them but then gets fussy again right after.

We actually just switched from Philips Avent Anti-Colic bottles that have number 2 nipples that we think were letting her get too much formula too fast. Also could hear her sucking air because she couldn't get a good seal and sucks so aggressively. We're trying out some Evenflo bottles that have number 1, or newborn nipples or whatever they're called. She seems to get a better seal on those.

Reactions: Moonstone

Moonstone

Nov 9, 2020
USA
Best of luck! Keep coming back if you want more ideas but for my daughter it just took time and she just stopped one day.

SweetSophie

Jun 8, 2021
I’m sorry your baby is going through this. Seeing your baby in pain must exhaust you physically and emotionally.

Babies experience some degree of tummy discomfort because their digestive system is immature. Some babies quickly get adapted to the new formulas; whereas some take time. To relieve baby from gas pains you can try frequent gas release massages, small feeds, holding baby upright during and after feed, gave smaller feeds more often and made sure that the baby sleeps flat on his back. My baby’s doctor recommended Enfamil NeuroPro Gentlease, it seems to be helping along with the tummy massages. Hope this helps you!

Jessicak

May 24, 2021
My baby girl gave me a tough time about her gas issues. After my gynaecologist convincing me I tried switching to formula feeding and she recommended me to try Enfamil Neuro Pro Gentlease Infant formula. It has eased my issue to some extent. Due to gassy issues the infant don't even sleep on time that what used to worry me, so I didn't take any second chance. Formula feeding is good until its healthy and safe. You should always consult a doctor before trying any product on child. They are sensitive to new things, I hope this serves your question. Tc.