Gassy Baby...

kayla25

Mar 11, 2008
My four week old is <I>constantly</I> gassy. He grunts and pushes all the time, even in his sleep! He wakes himself up because he's groaning and pushing and then starts crying. It seems that even in his sleep he's never peaceful for longer than five minutes, the rest of the time he's struggling. During his second or third week I thought maybe he was constipated because he would be so fussy and only have a poopy diaper once a day or every other day but my OB nurse said that was normal-I thought they were supposed to have 1-3 dirty diapers a day?? I've tried so many things, he gets both breastmilk and formula. His regular formula is regular Similac with iron but I tried switching to the soy for awhile because it's supposed to reduce gas, it didn't seem to help. I burp him several times during feeding and make sure he gets as little air as possible. I even tried the infant Gas-X drops, which also didn't do any good.

Should I try a different formula? How can I help my fussy baby? :veryconfused:

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
{{{HUGS}}} Newborns do tend to be gassy, but not ALL the time. It could be something you're eating that's affecting your breast milk. It could also be the formula. Another possibility is GERD (reflux). Does he spit up a lot? Does he cry/scream often? Definitely talk with your ped., because it could be a medical issue as well.

Symptoms of GERD
Reflux Information

My DD was very fussy as an infant. She cried and screamed often and had many of the symptoms listed in the link above. After she was dxed with GERD and put on Zantac she was happier, but still fussy often. I cut all dairy out of my diet (exclusively BF) and it made a huge difference.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I had to move their legs alot and after I'd feed them I would lay them on their left side and burp them that way. That is the way their tummy's empty. I also burped them upright and several times.
Their bowels do not spasm like older children so they are not able to pass gas like we do so we have to manipulate them around so that it goes through their bowels. Turning them and burping in other positions seems to help.
Milk no matter what causes gas. It's just our job to burp them well and move it out. ;) good luck. I know it can get frustrating. Hang in there.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I would say to try to limit his formula as much as possible and nurse as often as possible. Breastfed babies are much less likly to have gas problems. Pump if you have to. Also try to limit dairy in your diet as that tends to cause gas in breastfeeding babies.
Oh and congrats on a new baby!

parentinzen

PF Regular
Mar 9, 2008
I would try doing some leg exercises. We had to do that with my oldest. She felt better after that and some tummy massage. Check out this site that gives some advice on massages. How to massage babies

Good luck! That is always so hard! Once we figured it out though, we ALL slept better!

-Amy
Parenting Zen

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
You know, my baby boy had the same problem! Exactly how you're describing it. I must have tried EVERYTHING just like you did. I switched him to isomil and used the gas drops and moved his legs around and burped him like crazy and used the special Playtex airless bottles and trying to use remedies to relieve his constipation and NONE OF IT EVER REALLY WORKED. It was awful. I was pretty sure he was colic, or whatever you might call it. He didn't really spit up, so I didn't think reflux. I never tried the low iron thing, so I can't say that doesn't work, but here's what changed things around COMPLETELY for me:
Nutramigen Lipil, by Enfamil. It was like I had a whole new baby. It's very expensive, but luckily we get WIC so the cost didn't trouble me, but he is so much happier. He poops a couple times a day (the only drawback is it's a little bit annoyingly runny), and never ever has trouble doing so, really isn't gassy any more than any other baby, and is SO MUCH less fussy for me now it's crazy. I wished I had known about it sooner because the change was incredible. Your baby might be different, but I had to suggest it to you because it made things so much better for me. I think some babies just have sensitive tummies and Nutramigen is perfect for just that.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
my kids were both very gassy babies. I did my best to keep them comfertable but sometimes nothing worked...I don't miss those days, but the good news is they do out grow it. Talk to your doc on the next visit and just keep an eye on the baby to make sure it isn't continually getting worse

button611

PF Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2008
Bailey was the same way-we still continue to have her on the Similac Soy formula but I would talk with your pediatrician, turned out Bailey did not have all the symptoms of acid reflux, but some of them, we put her on baby Zantac and within a day she was back to being a happy baby again. Certainly doens't hurt to make a phone call and ask right? Here is hoping your little guy gets to feeling better soon!!!!:wubclub:

daddyofone

Mar 22, 2008
tacoma wa
We have had many of the same gassy problems with our baby, now 4 months. Doc says not reflux but that it was safe to give milycone&lt;sp baby gas=x after each meal. seamed to work ok. I think the biggest thing that help us so far is to think of air intake. aggressive feeders tend to take in more air so if your bottle feeding try a faster flow nipple. Laughing, gasping, sucking, and anythings along those lines will put gas into the system. for lower painful gas work it out with leg stretches as the baby gasx only works in the upper digestive system. but if you give the gasx after every feeding the gas shouldn't reach the lower bowels.
I also have a ton of experience with dog nutrition and mixing proteins can cause gas and bowel irritation. never heard of it in humans but thats not my expertise. If your formula is a different protein source that your breast milk, obviously, I would suggest feeding them separate at least 1 hour apart to aid digestion.

but always contact your doc... just remember they usually are NOT dietitians, just general doctors!!!!