gendered toys opinions needed!...

deeb176

Mar 16, 2010
Hi

I'm a student studying a media degree, I am currently working on a project in which I have to design and market a product. I want to create a range of male and female dolls, aimed at 3 to 5 year olds, that encourage children to play with toys that they like rather than toys that are generally acceptable for their gender. The idea is you buy a doll, either a boy or girl which will come with a childrens book that tells a story of a boy and a girl that want to take part in activities that are typically for the opposite gender, it will conclude that the childrens parents arrange for them to play together with a number of toys such as football, baby dolls, cookery sets, trains etc and will tell them that it is ok to do this if it makes them happy.

I want to give children a choice when it comes to dolls, rather than being given a boy doll that comes with a racing car, for example, I want the child to be able to choose whether they'd rather have that or say a tea set.

The range will include various accessories that can be bought separately in order to let the child decide which gendered doll they'd like and which activities they want the doll to take part in.

The aim is to get across to children that it is ok to like any toy, prefer any colour or play any game and to reject the idea that there are certain rules in terms of gender. I believe that there are many inequalities in childrens toys, for example you can buy many boy dolls that come with dinosaurs or dragons and encourage active play whereas girl dolls may come with a "cute pony" or "cuddly bear", why can't girls go on exciting adventures when they play?

I'd like to know what you think about the way we gender children and whether you think this is good, bad or does not matter and whether you think there are inequalities in terms of gender when it comes to childrens toys. It would also really help to know how you choose the toys you give to your children and whether you think your child would like such a toy?

I would really really appreciate your views on this it would be a massive help!

Thank you so much!

Dee

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I see you are not a parent.

If your post indicated gender neutral things, it might make sense. Its like saying we should put our boys in dresses or give our daughters crew cuts.

IMO personally I like boys to be boys and girls to be girls. All I see from you idea is a lot of long nights and a lot of hurt feelings.

And dont misunderstand me. I am not referring to playing ball or enjoying the arts.

There are some people here who could articulate it better than me. IMHO I doubt you will find much success.

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
I was always told,

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

No offense but that marketing idea isnt very original.

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
Hey, im all for that kind fo stuff. Having two girls and no boys, my worst fear is for this place to become full of pink frilly things. My girls play with cars and other 'boy toys' simply because I provide a balance.

I dont know how marketable your idea would be though.

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
my parents had a fear that i was transsexual or otherwise not normal.
i ignored girly toys, i wanted only guns and cars, and i hated having long hair (because it was a torture to have it combed).

i'd say -- nevermind. my son Marvin likes Barbie dolls. because he doesn't have any -- he finds it fun to undress them.

actually, kids choose the toys they like. my Marvin never asked for a Barbie for himself. he asked for Bratz, that he can play with his cousins. I got him Dylan and Cade. and that was allright and enough.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
Normally I would ban this user and delete this thread, but since people are responding I'll leave it be. If you guys want it closed, let me know.

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
okay.. i don't like the idea of saying "boys toys" and "girls toys" again this is speaking more as a child care worker than a parent (i am both) but if a boy puts on a dress from the dressup box it isn't a "girls thing" it is something to play with and if a little girl is playing with "the cars and trucks" they aren't boys toys they are just toys.. some girls even at age 2-3 will not want to play in dress ups or with dolls etc they will want to play with trucks and blocks and guns (i don't approve of guns, but thats not the point) and a normal little boy might want to play mummies and daddies and carry the baby around, or play in the dress ups or with the barbies... it does not make him any less of a boy they are his interests at this stage in his life... i do understand what you are saying i just don't like the terminology of making things for boys and things or girls

deeb176

Mar 16, 2010
sorry if I wasnt supposed to put this on here, I just wanted to get some opinions from real parents.
I'm not actually looking to market the toy, it's just an assignment.
The idea isn't to just switch around the gender roles but to give children the choice without making them feel that they're being different.
I really appreciate your feedback, thanks again

Choppy

PF Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I think there would be a niche market for this kind of thing, but personally I wouldn't spend money on such a product. While I think it's important to encourage gender equality, I don't think there is much value in a toy brand that has the specific purposes you've outlined as I don't think a toy can teach that lesson.

Further, I'm not sure that's the precise lesson I want to teach, because what may come out of it is that the child should get any toy he or she wants. One of the fundamental lessons I aim to instill my children is to enjoy the toys they have - because really at 3-5 years old, you can have just as much fun with a (gender neutral) stick you've picked up off the ground as you can with the latest $500 iTOY.

Plus the skeptic in me thinks - so now you want me to buy twice as many toys so I'm not gender-biassing my children.

Elise

Banned
May 31, 2010
I see what you are trying to do in this project. However gendered toys are gendered toys because we tell our kids they are. So making toys and then specifically attempting to teach them as neutral, only brings attention to a three year old that there are toy norms for their gender. It's basically like saying "don't go eat that cake on the table" to your kid. They didn't know it was there and probably would have missed it had you not told them about it. Personally my son Is an 'uber boy' 18mths you should see him throw a ball, haha or worse get hit by it. Ouch. He loves to run around and move stuff and figure out how it works. He also always wants to brush his hair and try to put a headband or ponytail holder on. (he has like 1/3 of an inch long hair) cause his sister and I do it. He also came across a Disney's Fairy Iridessa doll and whenever he sees it he goes over there and and pats it and goes aww and gives the fairy doll a kiss... Haha I see no issue with this... he thinks she's cute he's kissing her. Anyway my point is that they aren't born with these tendencies toward a more girly or boy toy. We give them to our kids. If we don't want them to think like that... we just don't harp on it.

WestCoaster

PF Enthusiast
May 21, 2010
Vancouver Island
I agree that children appreciate toys in which they can associate with, whether that is physical (Barbie and Ken/Transformers and Littlest Pet Shop), or emotional (colours and music). Blending gender roles would be confusing and potential take away valuable lessons.

Perhaps your assignment should discuss how instead of gender roles being enforced (insisting on certain toys for boys vs. girls), they should be nurtured in order to ensure emotionally healthy children.

Asking parents is exactly the right thing to do.