Going to interview first midwife center...

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
Well I have an interview and tour with the first of 2 birthing centers today. The next one is on Thursday.
I have a nice sheet of things to ask them. I am leaning more towards the 2nd one now, only because she is also a full OBGYM service. So I can get my yearlys and such before I get pregnant. We want to start trying in a few months so I want to get all this taken care of now.
Nichole was a condom baby, so I am assuming I will get pg fairly quickly. Maybe not the first try but I gather it won't take long.
I would like to get on pre natals now but I don't like synthetic vitamins so hopefully they will lead me in the right direction. I couldn't take them with Nichole, the morning sickness was too bad and I thrrew up every time no matter which one they tried to give me.

Anyways I know a few of you have had natural births with midwivves or at home, any duggestions on things I should ask them

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I had a midwife with my first and I loved them. I had to have Dr's with the twins but because they loved me...one of the midwives came down to delivery to help out with the twin delivery.
Midwives were just like the dr's. The only thing a bit different are that they were more compassionate. I loved them and would have a midwife again.
I would never do a home birth, that's just me. I would be terrified something could go wrong and I would be minutes from the hospital.
Good luck ttc

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I'm so jealous...lol I hope you and your husband find the right place. Question for ya though and feel free to tell me I'm to nosey...are you going to let Nichole watch the birth?

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
My son was 13 months old and he was in the delivery with my twins. He remembers some of it. I think the hard part with that is that the child doesn't like to see mommy hurting.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I have mixed feelings on it personally. I think it depends on the individual child whether or not they would be ok watching a birth

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I agree. I don't think I would let them watch right now with them being 7,6,6. It might be too much for them. I wouldn't want to scar them. hahha
(things appear larger then they seem..if ya know what I mean) hahaha

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
fallon said:
I'm so jealous...lol I hope you and your husband find the right place. Question for ya though and feel free to tell me I'm to nosey...are you going to let Nichole watch the birth?
Probably not, I htink it woul dbe too hard for her to understand. If you have kids they are allowed to go downstairs and watch tv if they want.

these are some of the things about this birthing center

-you have to say 2 hours after the birth, but most stay 4-6, if its in the middle of the night, most stay the night.
-no pain meds of any type except tylonal lol.
- emergency drugs are there though, epinephrin, oxygen, that type of thing.
-they have the vit K shot if yo uso want it, they said most don't get it unless they are a boy and plan to circ before 8 days old
- when you go into labor, your midwife is with you the entire time. If its 32 hours, she stays there, you also get 2 assistant midwives.
-you are encouraged to eat and drink what ever you want and there is a full kitchen for you and your family. (lots of families bake birthday cake hile mom is in labor)
-you see them as often as an ob during pregnancy, once a month (starting around 9 or 10 weeks) until 26 weeks, then every other week, till 36 weeks, then once a week till you deliver.
-if you go over your dd, then they want to see you every few days for sonogram and such to listen to the baby. More then 42 weeks and they do ultrasounds to look at the placenta
- they have ultrasounds on site but they are not included in price. They have a tech that comes once a week and its 45 bucks I think. So you can have as many or as little as you want. I want 2!! in the beginning and the middle. The end one is included if yo ugo over.
- they come to your house at 2 days post pardom to check you and baby and to do the baby wellness exam and heal prick. Then they come to your house again at 2 weeks. You go to them at 6 weeks.

thats all I can think of right now lol

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
me too!!
lol I have the other one tomorrow. They take our insurnce, and they are a full obgyn clinic as well.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
It was really nice. I had to cancel the apt for the second but i have time right! lol I am not pregnant and it will either be the new place or that place!