Going to travel at the time of pregnancy...

Tiffany01

Jul 12, 2014
Next month I am going to Germany with my husband. I am 22 weeks pregnant. I think in this situation insurance is must. What would be best for me travel insurance or health insurance? I am not sure does German government provide health insurance for traveler? One of my German Facebook friend recommend me to visit this site COVOMO.COM. I got some information from that site but i am looking for more. Please someone help me.

Last edited:

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Travel insurance covers overseas medical, regular heath insurance usually doesn't.

I am not 100% sure about Germany but you usually cannot use another country's public health cover unless you have a working visa for that country, so if you are just holidaying you need to have travel insurance.

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
Where are you from? You should get an EU health insurance card.
General travel insurance may not cover pregnancy, you should carefully check. Very carefully check.

I heard a story of a pregnant woman who fell of a bicycle and had a massive legal battle over healthcare costs because her travel insurance didn't cover pregnancy or sports related injuries.

Last edited:

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I'm trying to imagine a pregnant woman on a bicycle now.
I mean, I was pretty off-balance while standing, putting some wheels underneath me would have been the worst idea ever.

Wickett

Community Admin
Aug 1, 2014
East Central U.S.
cybele said:
I'm trying to imagine a pregnant woman on a bicycle now.
I mean, I was pretty off-balance while standing, putting some wheels underneath me would have been the worst idea ever.
This.

Though I'm sure there are other ways to travel there. :p

Hassty

Jul 22, 2020
I enjoyed my vacation with my husband two years ago. We visited Germany and visited several new cities for me. I'm really still very impressed with the local public holidays (we were lucky enough to visit one during our tour). It would be interesting for me to repeat our trip to Hamburg, but only if there is some kind of festival or celebration.

Reactions: Klissop

Klissop

Jun 30, 2020
I enjoyed my vacation with my husband two years ago. We visited Germany and visited several new cities for me. I'm really still very impressed with the local public holidays (we were lucky enough to visit one during our tour). It would be interesting for me to repeat our trip to Hamburg, but only if there is some kind of festival or celebration.
I'm sure that Hamburg is beautiful at any time of the year and, if you wish, you can always find interesting events in the holidays and school vacations in Hamburg, Germany calendar. Following the link you will find a description of all public holidays and festivals in each city of Germany you are interested in and you can plan your vacation in advance, as you will know which festivals, city holidays or fairs you want to visit.

BillShiphr

Jan 9, 2021
To be honest, I'm not sure if it's going to be easy for you because you might also have problems getting a visa. When my sister was applying for a visa to Germany, she got rejected, and she thought it was because of her pregnancy. On the other hand, my friend managed to get a visa to russia and pay russia visa fee without any problems, but maybe the month of pregnancy plays a huge role as well.