Graduation is here...

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
<t>It’s that time of year where parents look back and wonder “Where did the time go?” One day, you are looking into the face of your innocent newborn and the next day, you're watching him or her walk the line to get a high school diploma. When you are in the trenches of teething, temper tantrums, and bad attitudes, it is hard to see that one day your little baby will be a young adult, ready to take on the world.<br/>
<br/>
There’s a lot to think about with graduation. We think prom is stressful, and it is, but graduation brings a whole new set of things to think about and get done. <br/>
<br/>
*Announcements. Do you buy the overpriced generic high school ones or do you get creative? My vote is to get creative. They’re cheaper and in my opinion much nicer looking.<br/>
<br/>
*Senior photos. The obvious decision here is to them yourselves, but not all parents have what it takes to do that. So look for photographers searching for models, but understand that they are in the beginning stages of creating a business and may not be exactly what you're expecting. If you want sure fire shots, look around locally. Make sure to look closely at the photographer's portfolio to decide if his or her style fits what you are looking for.<br/>
<br/>
*Dress codes. Many schools have graduation ceremony dress codes, so make sure that your child is in compliance with it. The last thing you want is for them to not be able to walk because they chose to ignore this one important aspect.<br/>
<br/>
*Graduation party. Will it be an open house immediately following the ceremony or a party at a different date and at a different location? Make a list of everything you will need so you aren't running around all over town finding things you may have forgotten on the big day.<br/>
<br/>
This reminds me of a funny story about my daughter's graduation. The day of the ceremony, I went out to get her balloons and a card. Piece of cake, right? Wrong. Apparently there was a nationwide shortage of helium. Yes, helium. Only one store within 30 miles of us had balloons and there was only one geared towards graduation. I was lucky enough to get that one, and I felt like the queen of the world. I figured I would just grab some flowers and a card to go with that one precious balloon, but no. If there was a flower to be found that day, I was not going to be the person to find it. Alright, then. A card and a balloon it is. But then on the ride home, the balloon popped. So all I was left with was a card, a measly little card.<br/>
Thankfully, my daughter gave me credit for effort and in the end it was a great night.<br/>
<br/>
The last of my teenagers is set to embark on a new chapter in her life now. You’d think with four other little ones at home this it would be a relief, but it’s not. I am proud beyond belief, no question about that. Yet it’s still a little sad to know that at some point they too are no longer going to need me in the same way they do now.<br/>
<br/>
I know that since my mom survived my moving on, as her mother did, then I will too. But that doesn’t mean I have to like it!</t>

blanket

Jan 9, 2013
Time does fly and there are so many things you realize later you should have done better when you were young. I think it is critical to let teenagers talk to as many people as possible about the things they regret not learning in their teens. It is also required of parents to be very involved in their children's education in these forming years.
Actually, I recently read something about this on www.earlylearningwishes.com and I think it's highly relevant.