Growing Up and Going to College...

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
Amber and I now have four children in college, at the same time.

Dylan is in his last year at Jacksonville University (Major: Aviation Management and Flight Operations) and may graduate early this year. He moves back into the dorm room on August 23rd.

Dane is in his Junior year at Naval Academy (Major: Naval Architecture) and having so much fun and doing great. He officially starts classes again on Monday the 19th. Still planning on getting married in 2015.

Cassie and Jon both graduated June 7th.
Jon moves into the dorms at Jacksonville University (Major: Psychology) on August 22.
Cassie begins classes at STANFORD UNIVERSITY!!!!!!!!! (Major: Special Education) on August 26th. Already moved into the dorms.

They're all over the place and so far they are liking it and having a blast.

We are proud, but still trying to get used to having Cassie 3,000 miles away.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Wow, congratulations to Cassie (and Jon too, of course).

I have to admit, I don't know how you guys do it (the kids or the parents), kids don't move away to study here unless you live in the country, the norm is to live with parents until you graduate, the only student housing we have is for international students. I would bawl my eyes out if I had to send mine off at 18.

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
A lot of kids here are choosing to stay home at home just because room and board are so expensive (Dylan's last year room and board along with the meal plan was $9,400)

It's well worth it if you can afford it but a lot of parents are saying "you pay for it or you stay here" understandably because again, that's a lot of money.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Dorm rooms are expensive, most college kids I know all still live with their parents while in college.

Seriously though, what a great bunch of kids on the right track! You must have done something right, huh? :) Sounds like they are doing awesome, thank you for the update.

That's crazy about Cassie, that would kill me but WOW that's fantastic!!!! :D

I bet your house is really starting to feel quiet and empty!

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
You must have done something right, huh? :)
haha, I guess so. Just wish I knew what it was.

It is really empty. Still have Billy and Kaitlyn, and we have Marc and Hayleigh over almost every Saturday. But only having two kids around is A LOT different. Even more different than I thought it would be. :(

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
It sounds like everything is going great FO7. I know my house is quite with just 2 gone full time and 1 gone part time, and I still have a bunch still here. I can't imagine what it's like with most of them gone lol

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Wow, congrats (I guess) I don't know that I'd want to wish 4 kids in college at the same time on anyone. I shudder to think that I'll have 2 following each other. But seriously, it sounds great that they're all aspiring and getting out and doing the things they want. So much better than struggling with kids who are unmotivated or simply don't know what they want. Reflects well on their parents :)

So, what exactly is Naval Architecture? Designing ships and such? My 11 yo is interested in architecture, so this is a new twist I hadn't thought of.

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
Yeah, its basically exactly like architecture except he builds/designs/fixes ships and submarines and stuff like that.

We love Naval Academy...The Navy pays his tuition and THEY pay HIM to go there (because he's in the Navy, it is his job after all). It's very little, but so worth it

Win-win for everyone.

skmom

PF Regular
Jun 25, 2009
That's great. Good for you guys! If you don't mind me asking, do you have two sets of twins or a blended family?

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
Amber and I adopted Jon in January 2009.

The whole story is here: Jon.

If you don't want to read that, the short version is, he was one of Cassie's friends and he came to me one day asking if I could get him out of his father's house. Once we really knew everything about the situation and how bad it was we asked Jon if he wanted to live with us.