Guns in Australia...

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
Ijust wanted to share this link since the whole guns and Australia thing has come up so much lately!

http://www.snopes.com/crime/statistics/ausguns.asp

It talks about how guns were never even owned by most or the average person there, they never had a right to own them and even though they are "banned" you can still own a gun you just have to petition the govt. for it first. and the ban was mainly on automatic and pump action guns not hand guns or hunting rifles. hunters can still own guns, collectors can still own guns and blah blah blah. Also the number of murders has really not dropped all that much after the ban in 1997, there never was much of a murder rate there to begin with.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
It seems to me that guns were never really the issue in Australia to begin with, seems people there are just less likely to kill others lol

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
FooserX said:
Or maybe just nobody cares about Canada, so we don't pay attention to those things.
haha...I actually would have never known that but Ryan is a memeber of a car forum and they get together a couple times of yr. a few of the guys are from canada and we were chating about the murder rate there and how it was basically unheard of for someone to be murdered. I did a little searching when I got home because I kinda thought it was more of a "my country is better than yours" thing. Turns out they were right:eek:

jenilouise

PF Addict
Oct 20, 2007
Oregon
Well I think we should find out what they do there that makes murder less common and try to implement it here- if that is even possible.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
How come Dr. Evil Brent has not commented on this thread. And where has he been for the past couple of days?

Bingo

Jan 3, 2008
Hardly anyone owns a gun in Australia. I myself know no-one that owns a gun. Guns are not part of the Australian culture. So there are less angry, idiots with guns which would equal less murders.