halloween costumes?...

llewey

Jul 23, 2012
This actually stems from a discussion I was having with my sister about her daughter (18), who is very concerned about Halloween already. Not only is she trying to lose weight (which I think might be a bit unhealthy for a girl her age, but that's another subject entirely), she is looking at buying adult costumes (that's the site she's looking at) which I don't think are quite appropriate for a girl her age. She's not my kid though, so I can't really tell her what to do... but as someone who is concerned for her niece, what should I do?

parentastic

PF Fiend
Jul 22, 2011
Canada
llewey said:
This actually stems from a discussion I was having with my sister about her daughter (18), who is very concerned about Halloween already. Not only is she trying to lose weight (which I think might be a bit unhealthy for a girl her age, but that's another subject entirely), she is looking at buying adult costumes (that's the site she's looking at) which I don't think are quite appropriate for a girl her age. She's not my kid though, so I can't really tell her what to do... but as someone who is concerned for her niece, what should I do?
What are you exactly worried about?

Incogneato

PF Fanatic
Feb 9, 2011
Well honestly there's not alot you can do since she is 18. I'd say you could voice any concerns you have with her but she's considered an adult now, so forcing her to do anything is pretty much out of the question.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Well she is 18, she can't wear child sized costumes... and I clicked the link and it's not "adult" costumes in the grown up sexual sense that people tend to worry about, it is adult sized costumes that seem pretty average, some of them show a little leg, but most actually seem quite conservative to my eyes.

She's 18, she can dress how she chooses and she can go on a diet should she choose to. I don't understand what you mean by unhealthy for a girl her age, weight loss can be achieved at any age if it is required.

I guess the "at her age" thing is really throwing me off, because she is legally an adult, it's just a very odd argument to be using.

parentastic

PF Fiend
Jul 22, 2011
Canada
I think I do (sort of) get the "at her age" argument because 18 is just a few days away from 17: it's not a magic number for maturity, even if it holds a legal value. I have seen super mature 16 y.o and some very childish 19 y.o...

However, what I don't get is the OP actual concern? Like you I read the web pages and, well, they are just less-childish costumes. So what?

Incogneato

PF Fanatic
Feb 9, 2011
parentastic said:
I think I do (sort of) get the "at her age" argument because 18 is just a few days away from 17: it's not a magic number for maturity, even if it holds a legal value. I have seen super mature 16 y.o and some very childish 19 y.o...

However, what I don't get is the OP actual concern? Like you I read the web pages and, well, they are just less-childish costumes. So what?

I understand your distinction but maturity level is not what's in question.. age is. And a costume of whatever type she wants to wear at age 18 (legal adult) is up to her since she's an adult.

I also do not see a problem with any of the costumes, especially for a person who is 18.

jollysmith123

Banned
Jun 5, 2012
La Quinta,CA
You cant directly tell her as she wont listen. So its better to try telling her parents to explain her that its too unnecessary for her to buy adult costumes and thats not the aim of halloween. Only her parents can make her understand and she should be the kind who listens.

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
Eastern North Carolina, USA
I actually feel in love with the fortune teller one.. I'd wear it now. :D

I didn't actually see anything in here that would cross the line for me for an 18 year old. It didn't show anything but legs and a little cleavage. I can't see as it would be something that warranted a family discussion.

Cop2be

PF Fiend
May 28, 2009
Denver, Colorado 3oh3! <3
Mom2all said:
I actually feel in love with the fortune teller one.. I'd wear it now. :D

I didn't actually see anything in here that would cross the line for me for an 18 year old. It didn't show anything but legs and a little cleavage. I can't see as it would be something that warranted a family discussion.
Doesn't matter anyways an 18 year old can wear whatever they want.

Family discussions about an 18 year olds clothing choices is ridiculous to say the least.
I would have thought my mom was on drugs.

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
I think that was my point. :p

However.. now that you've put it quite like that.. I have to say.. that if my daughter at any age came in with her areola showing.. It would warrant a chat. Or if my son wanted to wear a banana hammock at the family BBQ, I'd be hard pressed not to pull him to the side to discuss it. However.. I should say that for the most part, their clothing choices have never bothered me.

Last edited:

Cop2be

PF Fiend
May 28, 2009
Mom2all said:
I think that was my point. :p

However.. now that you've put it quite like that.. I have to say.. that if my daughter at any age came in with her areola showing.. It would warrant a chat. Or if my son wanted to wear a banana hammock at the family BBQ, I'd be hard pressed not to pull him to the side to discuss it. However.. I should say that for the most part, their clothing choices have never bothered me.
I don't think anyone mentioned anything that extreme.
I heard a lot of crap about my shorts being too short, my jeans having holes, my clothes being too tight, etc from my great grandmother when I last visited and it drove me up the wall....

DB and I are moving to tn and ill get to hear it every day, plus about us living together not married.

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
Cop2be said:
Doesn't matter anyways an 18 year old can wear whatever they want.

Family discussions about an 18 year olds clothing choices is ridiculous to say the least.
I would have thought my mom was on drugs.

I was actually responding to this. 18 year olds can in fact wear what ever they want... but that doesn't mean they should. :p

It would be silly to have a family discussion about clothing... however, the afore mentioned clothing options would demand attention. :D

And I'm pretty sure my kids would know my concern over such things wouldn't be related to drug use.. in fact.. my not addressing said clothing options would be a better indicator I had switched over to pot brownies or some other mind altering dessert. :eek:

Cop2be

PF Fiend
May 28, 2009
Mom2all said:
I was actually responding to this. 18 year olds can in fact wear what ever they want... but that doesn't mean they should. :p

It would be silly to have a family discussion about clothing... however, the afore mentioned clothing options would demand attention. :D

And I'm pretty sure my kids would know my concern over such things wouldn't be related to drug use.. in fact.. my not addressing said clothing options would be a better indicator I had switched over to pot brownies or some other mind altering dessert. :eek:
But who is to decide what should and shouldn't be done.
My great grandmother thinks I shouldn't wear the clothes I do and live with my boyfriend.

Our parents don't think it matters, we don't think it matters.
So who is to say who is right and who is wrong?

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
Cop2be said:
But who is to decide what should and shouldn't be done.
My great grandmother thinks I shouldn't wear the clothes I do and live with my boyfriend.

Our parents don't think it matters, we don't think it matters.
So who is to say who is right and who is wrong?

Part of me agrees with you.. the 13 year old me that wanted to wear that button proudly proclaiming "I know what boys like"... when in fact I didn't and my Dad threw it in the garbage. (PS. I'm super glad he did now) I am a firm believer that if it harms none, do what you will...

My son in a banana hammock or my daughters nips showing at Sunday dinner would harm a plenty.

You look through eyes of a young girl. I readily agreed that the Halloween costumes were fine in my point of view.. so I'm not sure why we keep coming back to my opinion on appropriate clothing. However.. I can only assume that one day, when your own daughter tries to convince you that showing her butt crack in high school is all the rave.. you'll understand a little better why parents push what should and shouldn't be worn at times.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Remember those Christina Aguileria pants?

So glad mine were too young for that 'trend'.

Don't know why I brought that up, it just popped into my head.

Cop2be

PF Fiend
May 28, 2009
Mom2all said:
Part of me agrees with you.. the 13 year old me that wanted to wear that button proudly proclaiming "I know what boys like"... when in fact I didn't and my Dad threw it in the garbage. (PS. I'm super glad he did now) I am a firm believer that if it harms none, do what you will...

My son in a banana hammock or my daughters nips showing at Sunday dinner would harm a plenty.

You look through eyes of a young girl. I readily agreed that the Halloween costumes were fine in my point of view.. so I'm not sure why we keep coming back to my opinion on appropriate clothing. However.. I can only assume that one day, when your own daughter tries to convince you that showing her butt crack in high school is all the rave.. you'll understand a little better why parents push what should and shouldn't be worn at times.
Everyone's butt cracks show these days......

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Only buttcracks I've seen recently have belonged to plumbers.

High waisted seems to be what's popular here. Much nicer look. I like a nice high waisted pair of pants on my 18yr old, wish I was able to pull them off the way she does.