Have your children ever complain about their names?...

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
What's wrong with William? William is a lovely name.

Sunny went through a stage when she was little where she decided that her name was Cinderella, and Dita went through a phase where she had a "mermaid name" which was Princess Starfish Glitter.

But other than kid things like that they haven't questioned their names or sibling's names, they have questioned where they came from, because, well that's obvious, but I've never heard them compare.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Yeah, kids definitely complain about their names. I did. I shared my name with half my class. So my kids got very unique names. I hope they don't complain, but there's no accounting for taste. How can you possibly know what they'll like?

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
akmom said:
How can you possibly know what they'll like?
Exactly, and hey, for all you know you could give your kid an absolutely normal name like, oh, lets say, Margaret, only to have her go through some kind of weird earth mother phase in her late teens that gives her the brilliant idea of legally changing her name to that of a goddess who rides a chariot pulled by lions whose name she actually doesn't know how to pronounce, as she has only ever seen it written.

Names are fun.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
To be fair, Margaret is pretty drab. I prefer Cybele. With the accent on the second syllable, anyway.

One of my friends named her daughter Copper. I think it's a dumb name for a girl (or a human). I just think of the dog on "Fox and the Hound" every time I hear that name. Might as well have named the poor thing Fido.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
That's an odd combination.

Speaking of odd combinations, it makes me think of my mother in law and her sisters though. Their mother was born in India, their father in Iceland, and they decided when naming their kids to alternate Indian and Icelandic names. I will never forget when my husband introduced me to his Aunts who are twins, Sveinbjorg and Lakshmi, and of course, Aunt Sveinbjorg was the only one wearing a saree.

Last edited:

Tiffany01

Jul 12, 2014
What's problem with this name?
It's seems old but a popular name. And 'william' is not a bad name at all.

Emily92

PF Regular
Mar 20, 2014
TabascoNatalie said:
My William said yesterday -- why does a baby have a nice name and i have to be William?
Poor kid! Did you get a chance to ask him what he would be like to be named, given a choice?

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
My kids are Felix, Alegra and Mikaela which are all sort of unusual (maybe not Mikaela) I love the names and none of them have complained but who knows what the future will bring. They may all hate their names for all I know lol. I hope they love them as much as I do though