Help changin wife's mind about child's diet...

RandyNH

Nov 14, 2008
<SIZE size="100"><SIZE size="100">I have a 15 month old daughter. I want to bring her up on a healthy diet and constantly enforce the importance of it.

I used to eat poorly and since I began paying attention to my health I feel that my life started over. I eliminated depression and anxiety. My moods are far more under comtrol and the energy is just icing on the cake. I remember back to my frame of mind when I used to eat poory. I had thoughts such as if I eat healthy now it only effects me when I am old and this nutrigrain bar must be healthy because the marketing says that it is. Well due to my ignorance I lost several years of my life and the paradigm shift I experienced when I began paying attention to health was lifechanging.

My wife and her family are still in the old frame of mind that I was in. They are all very stubborn. They are wonderful people just closed minded. There diets are horrible and they complain about being tired and irritable all the time. I subtly explain that this is a diet problem, but their ears turn off. This past weekend my in-laws brought over some doughnuts for my daughter. I was frustrated, because her family knows my view on healthy eating. I said in anger "something else to make my daughter fussy". My mother in-law retorted "sugar making you cranky is a myth". Anyway the discussion went back and forth for a minute and then I had to leave for a dentist appointment. One hour later I came back and my daugher was having a meltdown and was so extremely fussy. I just wish that they could see this.

I vowed never to be a preacher. I would always be annoyed by people that engaged in the fad of the week and always tried to pressure me into it. I do want to change her families view on this I am not sure how to though. I am highlighting paragraphs in books and having my wife read them, but I am not having any luck.

Any advice would be appreciated
</SIZE>
</SIZE>

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
I personally don't have a problem with a 15 month old child eating a donut every now and then. Yes, they should be getting their fruits and vegetables as well, but a donut every now and then isn't going to cause a problem. Maybe they should pay a bit more attention and you should loosen up.

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
I think 15 months is too young for that much sugar. They're barely out of baby stage then.

I don't know how someone can change someone else. I guess quit nagging, leave some very short blurbs about food and health laying around, bookmark some sites, if you have any say in the grocery shopping don't buy the food so it's not around to eat.

Good luck.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I agree with Sirk here. There is no reason for a baby to be eating donuts and sugar making a child fussy is far from a myth. You may not be able to change your wife or her family but this child is yours as much as her's and your feeling should be excepted. Good luck

RandyNH

Nov 14, 2008
The grandparents were bringing the donuts over everyday. I finally got them to stop with the donuts.
I feel that my daughter should be limited to 1 day a week that she can splurge and have some junk food.
I feel so strongly towards health that I will highlight key paragraphs in health books for my wife to read. I will teach my daughter, when she is old enough, how exactly eating the wrong things affect her mood, energy, and overall happiness

TwinsTimesTwo

PF Regular
Nov 13, 2008
Midwest (USA)
I have absolutely no idea how you change other people's minds on this. One time last year my brother was watching the kids while I worked late, and when I got home I found out he'd given them cookies for dinner. NOTHING but cookies, and lots of them!!! He said he asked them what they wanted for dinner and that was what they said. :rolleyes: Of course, they were bouncing off the walls on a sugar high for hours after (no, that is NOT a myth).

It sounds to me like you're on the right track with making sure it doesn't happen too often. I really don't think there's anything wrong with some sugar, as long as they eat healthy stuff too and their weight is good.

You could also try making the people who feed your daughter the sugar deal with the consequences. I made my brother deal with the six sugar-crazed kids that night, and he hasn't fed them cookies for dinner since :D

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
Also, when its the in-laws bringing it over excessively, maybe you ahve to play the bad guy and say "Hey, this is my daughter, what she eats has to go by me first, if you want to feed a small junk crap, then have some more kids of your own"

RandyNH

Nov 14, 2008
I think my biggest difficulty will be with my wife. I suggested that maybe our daughter should only eat junk food one day a week and she felt strongly against it. The reason is because she eats rather poorly with alot of sugar in her diet and I feel that she thinks she would have to change her diet to be a good model for our daughter.
I agree that people will not change unless they want to change. I am hoping to feed her key articles that will change her paradigm on the subject. If any of you have any good books or articles please let me know.
If I can suggest a book to you readers I recommend "Cure ADHD in 18 Days". I felt I had attention problems before. This book will blow your mind. He explains how ADHD didn't exist before the whole fast food and highly processed diet craze.
I do thank all of you for your replies and any more suggestions that you have.

Jessie

PF Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2008
Frankly, I don't quite understand why it's such a huge issue for your wife. I mean, it's not like the child would die without having sugar on a daily basis so I don't understand why she doesn't want to at least give it a try.

On the other hand, having someone constantly remind me of my "poor" eating habits and highlighting pages in books and leaving them for me to read would get on my nerves very quickly and I might be less inclined to take their suggested advice.

My suggestion to you would be to <I>lead by example</I> more, and less by words.

September of 2006 I quit smoking. And as much as I wanted my husband to quit with me, <I>I didn't say a single word to him about it</I> because I knew it was something he had to do on his own. And I knew saying anything would only cause fights.
Two months later he quit too.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
RandyNH said:
The grandparents were bringing the donuts over everyday. I finally got them to stop with the donuts.
I feel that my daughter should be limited to 1 day a week that she can splurge and have some junk food.
I feel so strongly towards health that I will highlight key paragraphs in health books for my wife to read. I will teach my daughter, when she is old enough, how exactly eating the wrong things affect her mood, energy, and overall happiness
OK, while I don't think a donut will cause major issue... everyday is a bit much.

jayman

PF Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2008
You know at 15 months my now nearly 4 year old would eat anything we put in front of him. Yes, he had donuts, M&amp;M's, chocolate milk, cake, etc. He also ate his veggies, fruits, and other good stuff.

Now - getting him to eat is an ordeal. If he eats a donut I'm happy he ate <I>something</I>. As for being fussy - my kids are fussy when they eat good, eat bad, don't eat at all. Today he ate some rice and beans for lunch (he had frosted mini wheats for breakfast) and proceed to become fussy when his younger brother took the <I>wrong</I> train off the traintrack. Will less sugar reduce these kinds of things? Maybe, but it isn't a magic bullet - not in my opinion anyway.

Do what you can limit the bad stuff, but don't get so worked up about it. A couple of donuts over the weekend won't ruin your kids life.