help with dad/daughter bonding...

matty87

Feb 6, 2016
perth
gday,

needing advice and help relating and bonding with my 3 daughters. ages are 2, 5 , 9.

I struggle bonding and generally hanging out with them due to self insecurity and how to talk to them. being the fact they are girls I'm hesitant m unsure on how to talk to them and special things to do with them.

thanks

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
I'm not a dad, but I do remember spending time with my dad and other step dads (long story.).
I'm the only girl (with 3 half brothers) and I was sort of treated the same as my bros. My dad took us fishing, biking, hiking, boat rides, swimming, played video games, ice skating, skiing. Lot's of outdoors stuff. Me and my dad don't talk much now, but when we do we talk about day to day things and other things we're into, like space and history.
Not hijacking your thread or anything, but just throwing some ideas out od experience and hoping any of this inspires you.
Some dads get right in there and actually play Barbie dolls, have a tea party and play dress up with their daughters. That may be something you could work towards. Girls really do appreciate that.
As long as your keeping things decent and age appropriate you can't go too wrong.
I don't think anyone can tell you how to talk to your own kids. That has all to do with your personality and the type of parent you want to be. Some dads treat their daughters like princesses. Some dads are more supportive but distant and let mom do most of the tough parenting stuff. Some dads are encouraging and tough on their daughters.
The younger the kids the harder it is to bond with them. 2 year olds are into simple things that can be very boring. They need a lot of educational interactive time, but that could be where you should start with the 2 year old.
5 year olds like arts and crafts and running around. You can introduce her to tag and hide and seek and other fun simple games.
Your 9 year old will want to do something for older kids so that's where some outdoor activities will do you both good. Because there is a bigger age gap between her sisters than the others she probably will like to get out of the house and spend some one on one time with you.
I hope that helps.

matty87

Feb 6, 2016
perth
Thanks for reply,

Ive had a few tea party's n teddy picnics so far lol, and spent time drawing and painting etc. It's easier when their little. That stuff I'm cool with.

its mainly on the mental side of things, like how to talk n try relate to them aswell, I've always nurtured n played with them when young, (6months - 2 years) but just finding it harder from there on.

I've been the type of dad to step back n let mum take control as my wife does such amazing job, has routines, set rules n just .. has it all under control I guess without really needing me help I guess, I've always asked if help needed but she has her own ways n systems.

I want to try n get involved n help slot more but have no idea how, and also uncomfortable because I'm unsure how to react and play games, muck around n have fun in a way if that makes sense...

pwsowner

PF Enthusiast
May 15, 2013
Ontario, Canada
With the 2 year old, just join in and play with her with the toys she likes. Play with alphabet blocks or other toys that help her learn, or just play doll house. With the older ones, simple, ask them what they would like to do. Tell them you love them and want to be more involved and ask them what they would like to do. They will love that you want to do things with them. As they get older, they will want more time on their own and with friends, but they will still want some time with you.

You will quickly get the hang of hanging with them and will soon see how much fun you've been missing.

Marlene

Feb 12, 2016
RC
My husband is a chef and they make simple recipes together. It is really a fun activity. I tell them to clean up after as well. Lol. So they make simple cookies and salads, sandwiches. They are always on the look out for cute molds or cute toppings it's almost like they have a secret lingo. They started to bring newly baked things to school and there is such a sense of pride and closeness. Good luck!