Helping a child pronounce correctly...

jack123

PF Enthusiast
May 9, 2012
I know of kids who cannot pronounce the letter R or S in their early childhood but later as they grow up, they seem to pronounce it perfectly. Is there a way we can rectify this by some exercises in speech so the kids get a hang of the right pronunciation.

conschofield

Jul 6, 2012
Practice :) I am sure she'll get it soon enough.
If you're worried about it I think you can call your local school district and get (free?) speech therapy.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I read all the time to and with the kids. Daily if not more. I think that helps. There a lot of other things which cause speech issues. All kinds of things. But just my generic answer would be to read a lot. Even stuff out of the paper and other things you might read.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
The advice I've always heard (and my 5 yo has troubles with "R"s) is to model what you want them to do. So be sure to say those words clearly, make good R's and S's in your speech so they hear them but the advise was also not to "Correct" them, just model. I'm not sure of the rationale behind that advice I assume it has something to do with not making them self conscious about it. I will say that my son's abilities are improving, so I don't know whether it's modeling or just natural progression, but it's improving. He starts Kindergarten this fall so I plan to discuss it with his teacher and see if they want to ride it out or get him some professional help.

jollysmith123

Banned
Jun 5, 2012
La Quinta,CA
I agree to what bssage and IAdad said. We need to read out more to the child. Repeat the letters giving them trouble and encourage them to speak it correctly. Be patient and dont ever be harsh on the child or create any sort of fear in them.

jack123

PF Enthusiast
May 9, 2012
Thank you everyone for your advice. Thinking of what i read above, i realized I did not read enough for the child to understand the pronunciation. This probably could be one reason. I will try reading more, repeating the letters more often and correcting the child. If all this doesnt help then seeking a speech therapist is the last resort.

BabyAngel

PF Fanatic
Feb 6, 2012
Deux-Montagnes, Quebec, Canada
My daughter still has problems with S... she has a bit of a lisp with it... but so as many other kids in her class, so I'm guessing it's still normal.

I'm thinking of going to a speech therapishhht to help her out if it doesn't go away on it's own shortly !