Homework...

parentastic

PF Fiend
Jul 22, 2011
Canada
akmom said:
My daughter had one similar to what you describe, Parentastic. I mixed in a random activity to distract her from the boredom. I made her read the word and then run up the stairs and back down, and each time I timed her. So the goal I gave her was to do it faster each time. So she would try to cut her time by reading faster, and also by darting up the stairs faster. No one ever knew what it took to get through that homework, but it doesn't really matter. They're my kids, I can make them do it however I want! She learned the words, that's all that matters. And she was definitely having fun, thinking that the stair races were part of it.
:laugh: nice! :D

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
parentastic said:
Yeah... I am going to do some searches and see if I can find that in french (I would have asked for a reference to yours, but they probably aren't in the right language!)
Lol, you're right - it's in Afrikaans only. Not in any language that would help you :( But maybe something similar is available in French?

ella

PF Regular
Feb 17, 2014
Some homework is ok because it teaches the child to be responsible. I don't agree with a child having hours of homework a night though, that just seems a bit too harsh I feel.

Anna61

Oct 19, 2014
Homework that enhances learning is OK with me. Nightly reading, math, and concept reinforcement is good, but there has to be a limit. My kids used to sit for hours a day with tasks that seemed useless (such as word searches, coloring etc).I dreaded the hw time each afternoon because I just felt it was too much work for these kids. And it took up so much of our time.

Some teachers had homework packages where the kids had all week to complete the work. This worked well for us since it also taught them time management skills.

I like the new concept that some schools have adapted where kids actually watch videos at home where new concepts are taught. They then go to school the following day to practice these concepts. This way they prepare to learn at home but do the reinforcement and work at school where the teacher can help them.

bobspock100

Banned
Jan 10, 2015
amsterdam, netherlands
I think possibly a very small amount of homework might be beneficial, but mostly not. a lot of homework is viewed by the kids as a pain in the butt to be dealt with and gotten out of the way, not something to actually learn. then too is the theorem that the school work is for in the school, and at home it is the "home" work time as opposed to homework time. meaning there are things relative to the family and house that the parents might have the kids do, not to mention what the kids themselves want to do. remember that all work and no play, etc. etc.

stuffedanimals

Dec 15, 2014
Shanghai, China
It's common for Chinese children to do homework till 9 or 10 o'clock every day. I don't know it's necessary to give them so much assignments. Maybe the teacher should treat the students according to their own levels.

bobspock100

Banned
Jan 10, 2015
amsterdam, netherlands
teaching according to their own levels would be so perfect, but it cant work in a public school environment. I have spent time in hong kong and the homework there is not anywhere near what you describe in shanghai. perhaps h.k. has a bit more british imbedded into things.

Jerseyknox

May 19, 2020
And what can you guys recommend for me?
You are in a big need to check help with my essay writing
cause that kind of services can help you a lot and save your personal time. The prices are so cheap and quality of essay is perfect. That guys are awessome cause they helped me for only 80 bucks to write an personal academic essay with 10000 words.

Klissop

Jun 30, 2020
I've always had problems with writing assignments. Recently I needed to write a review about the book and I had no idea where to start and what should be written in my essay on this topic. I found the free essay online on this student resource and used these samples as an example for my review of the book. This helps to understand how you need to structure the text and what you can write about in your essay so that it's informative and interesting. It seems to me that this is very useful for those students who don't have good writing skills and can't write good text without the template.