Hot Dogs/Nitrates and Cancer...

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
Yeah, we don't eat hot dogs.

I didn't know about the nitrates, I just think they're gross. Didn't you ever read "The Jungle"?

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
hmm that is interesting. We don't do hotdogs either unless they are 100% beef Kosher ones, and thats very rare. She has had a few hotdogs before, maybe 3 or 4 or whole life so I think we are good.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Debralyn will eat hot dogs once in a while but who feeds their kids 12 hot dogs a month...that's almost every other day...gross

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
In general is good to stay away from "processed food" as much as possible, not just hotdogs.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
not really lol. the bet though are the all beef kosher ones. They do not have any nitrates, fillers or any other nasty in them.

INGREDIENTS: Beef, water, salt, contains 2% or less of spice, paprika, hydrolyzed soy protein, garlic powder, sodium erythorbate, sodium nitrite, flavorings. so they do have nitrite in them, hmmm...

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Kaytee said:
not really lol. the bet though are the all beef kosher ones. They do not have any nitrates, fillers or any other nasty in them.

INGREDIENTS: Beef, water, salt, contains 2% or less of spice, paprika, hydrolyzed soy protein, garlic powder, sodium erythorbate, sodium nitrite, flavorings. so they do have nitrite in them, hmmm...
I have issues with him eating beef just because I don't eat beef. He's such a picky eater. Maybe I should try those Morningstar soy dogs?

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Kaytee said:
some people say the soy is good. I never have never ha them personally
Actually the soy taste just like the regular hot dogs. I wonder if they are safer though.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
We only eat Nathans. They are so juicy. They eat them maybe once every other month. I also only eat Boars Head sandwich meat. I don't think I would waste time worrying about hotdogs.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
My husband treats cancer and he said "find something better to do with our time" hahaha
I guess that's a nice way of saying that alot of things have the potential to cause cancer...deoderant, toothpaste, shampoo, etc.

chefrick

Nov 13, 2007
Ohio
musicmom said:
My husband treats cancer and he said "find something better to do with our time" hahaha
I guess that's a nice way of saying that alot of things have the potential to cause cancer...deoderant, toothpaste, shampoo, etc.
musicmom said:
I am still married because he works under the table (even though he's a professional) and if I were to divorce I would not be able to collect child support, plus this house is in his name. He said as long as I stay married to him he would continue to pay all the bills and the mortgage.
I'm not stupid by any means so I stay! I stay at home with the kids and am taken care of. I am a substitute teacher so I can pick and chose the days I want to work and any extra income I make is mine. I am also an intern at a music production company and that will be full time soon.
He has no say in what I do and I don't need to run anything by him. Some think I have it made. Granted...I'd leave in a heartbeat if I find a good man.
He's very aware that I am no longer in love with him and do not find him physically attractive and he's OK with that. I'm not sure why this is OK for him. Who knows. I would have rather of him get sober and we all live together but I guess that's a choice he wasn't willing to make. His loss not mine. I don't mind answering your questions. I am not ashamed or embarrassed at all. :) I do what's best for my children.
If he were drinking and in the home I would leave without a doubt and VERY
^^^^Is this the husband you are referring to, chickie???^^^^

I Call BS!! :rolleyes: This should be a forum about giving sound advice or opinion based on facts or personal experience.

You are taking the advice of an alocoholic and abusive man that practices medicine illegally under the table???

If the alledged "Doctor" or Cancer treating individual discounts the carcinogenic effects of nitrates on the human body, then that person shouldn't be practicing anything other than flipping burgers.

VI OF US

Nov 19, 2007
chefrick said:
^^^^Is this the husband you are referring to, chickie???^^^^

I Call BS!! :rolleyes: This should be a forum about giving sound advice or opinion based on facts or personal experience.

You are taking the advice of an alocoholic and abusive man that practices medicine illegally under the table???

If the alledged "Doctor" or Cancer treating individual discounts the carcinogenic effects of nitrates on the human body, then that person shouldn't be practicing anything other than flipping burgers.
Oh snap, crackle, and POP!! WOW!