Hot Dogs/Nitrates and Cancer...

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
They do make hot dogs without. If your local store does not carry them you can ask the manager to stock them. Its up to the grocery store.
But what are you going to do about all the things listed above? I'm just saying hotdogs are a tiny part of something that can cause cancer. (that was my point) ;)

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I agree that it is a tiny part, and my daughter rarely gets them anyways. But I do my best as a parent to not feed her things that I know can cause damage. Limit exposure if you will. I only give her organic milk at home, and mostly organic almond milk at that. We get hormone free meet and organic fruits and veggies as often as we can. We do eat at McDonalds as well though. It's just doing all I can to limit her exposure to harmful things. This is also why I breastfed her, (formula is not sterile and contains chemicals) I only get her natural shampoos, toothpaste, and soap. We are careful not to buy to many China toys, she still has some though. We don't vacciante fully because of the mercury, pesticides, rat poison, aborted fetuses and other nasties in them...

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I agree with Kaytee. I buy organic whenever possible, only organic milk at home but Debralyn still has milk when we are out or at grandmas or whatever. We eat pizza and fast food, luch meat, and even hot dogs once in a while. I limit exposure to things that are "bad" but I don't deny her these things all the time

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I like hotdogs on occassion! They are yummy sometimes, unless they are the cheese injected ones, those are nasty!

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Kaytee said:
I like hotdogs on occassion! They are yummy sometimes, unless they are the cheese injected ones, those are nasty!
I agree :) Heck we had a snow day here yesterday and Ryan stayed home too. I made hot dogs and mac and cheese for luch before we went out to play in all the snow (we got about 8 inches) funny thing is the mac and cheese was organic...lol I crack myself up sometimes:p

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Yumm Ok now you girls made me want a hot dog. lol I think I have a brat in the fridge!! Here I come.

Good Latte

Dec 18, 2007
Miami
None of us are meant to eat hot dogs at all. They are one of the most highly processed "meat"-products currently adding to our digestive system stress, cancer, and dis-ease.

In the entire history of human evolution, the Processing and Packaging of meats only began during this century, due to a fear of lack of productivity from our farms during war time. The idea of processed food was initially rebuked by the American Population because of our strong traditions of eating real food. Advertising eventually won the battle, however, and profits began to soar for food manufacturers.

The real interesting part is this: OUR RATES OF CANCER AND HEART DISEASE HAVE SKYROCKETED SINCE NATHAN'S FAMOUS HOT DOGS DEBUTED IN 1916. Heart Disease and Cancer were virtually non-existent at the start of the century. I know that Nathan's is just one part of this tragic onset of dis-ease in America, but every bit of processed food you take out of your child's diet is like removing a bit of stress and potential dis-ease from their innocent bodies.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Back a century ago we did not have this many immagrants coming over bringing richer foods. Americans have also came up with richer foods. It has nothing to do with NATHANS hotdogs. OMG that is sooooooooo funny!

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
there is nothing wrong with eating junk food in moderation. One hot dog will not kill you, but a thousand just might. Eating at McDonalds will not kill you, but eating there everyday might. Moderation is the key

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Holes and intestine just cracked me up and almost made me spit out my diet mountain dew!!! Toooo funny!

Good Latte

Dec 18, 2007
Miami
So, I was thinking....My guess is that we all have dreams of having the healthiest children possible....and that we might be able to set the best example possible by not buying too many bad foods, etc.
So: When your child starts to see "bad" foods from other kids or from the TV and demands, "I want to eat that!" ...How do you handle it?
In other words, do your children demand to eat foods that you do not regularly purchase? And how much 'refusing to eat' happens before you lose your mind as a parent?

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
Mines to young right now, but she is always wanting chocolate milk. It's fine though cause its Almond milk and the sugar content is not much more then the vanilla.

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
Good Latte said:
In other words, do your children demand to eat foods that you do not regularly purchase? And how much 'refusing to eat' happens before you lose your mind as a parent?
My son doesn't make any demandes, but he likes to play the "I wish..." card.

"I wish I could have that someday, papi..." he says with the sadest little eyes.

As long as it's not in the house, he's not really tempted.

If there was a healthy food spectrum...KT would be on one end, and I would be on the other. I really don't monitor what nitrates are, or how many phosphates my kid is eating. I just feed him what we eat, and limit sweets and grease.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
lol I don't worry all that much about phosphates and such either, I just try to keep it healthy for her. My main thing is milk and fruits and veggie. She eats mainly organic so that we limit the amount of hormones she is eating. heck I bought the kid a bag of marshmellows to eat as snacks. Of course my friends daughter is allergic to wheat, eggs, dairy, and soy, so pretty much marshmellows are safe