How big a stink?...

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
I need other folks' perspective.

We live in a small, old house that uses heating oil. We have a contract with the heating oil service that they will monitor our oil levels and keep the tank full without us having to do anything.

Twice this winter the tank has gone empty and getting an emergency fill has been an incredible pain. Last Sunday it was empty, and after 3 calls we were told we couldn't get a delivery that day as all the drivers were unavailable. The temperature was -4 F, with a windchill of -25. Our house was already down to 54 F by 11:00 (the last time this happened we couldn't get a delivery until the next mid-morning and even with space heaters the nursery for our 16-month old twins went down to 60 F and the house was down to 45 F). I tried to drive our kids to my parents' house, but it is 45 minutes by the interstate on summer days. I had to turn around half-way because of terrible driving conditions and later found out that this stretch of interstate had to be closed for part of the day.

I called again (so call #4) and insisted that the situation was unacceptable and asked for the names and phone numbers of the regional manager and the parent company's customer service manager. Two hours later I was told we would get a delivery.

With such cold winters, the idea that we could go for a full day and night without heat seems outrageous to me, especially since it is the company's responsibility under our contract to maintain an adequate level of oil in our tank.

I was so upset at the company for putting us in this situation - again - with such cold when we have 2 little kids. We have always promptly paid our bills, so the fault is totally theirs. How upset would you be?

Thanks for any replies.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I think you need to figure out what you really want to do. Chances are they are always going to be like this and you're going to have to keep pushing.
Do you really want to cause a stink and have them say "bye" and that's it?
Is there anyway of telling when its going low? Or keep a journal and see if it does it around the same time and you can call to have it refilled before it runs out.
Mind you, I'm a Florida girl so I have NO IDEA what you are talking about. Just trying to throw things out there.
Just wiegh your options.......do you want to leave this company and get another? Can you deal with this the way that it is? Can you just make a stink when it runs out and tell them they MUST per their contract come out because you have little one's.

EHB

PF Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2008
California and New Jersey
We have a contract with the heating oil service that they will monitor our oil levels and keep the tank full without us having to do anything
I would read the contract very carefully. If they really are in breach of contract, it might be worthwhile having an attorney write them a letter telling them that they have breached the contract you have with them.

I also have always pondered about how wise it is, in this "oil" climate, to have an oil heated house. I know it is costly, but I would definitely look into an alternative, preferably gas-based way to heat your home. I do think, especially with children or the elderly, either the expense or the delivery issues can be troublesome and lead to critical situations.

I would be furious, frankly. Mothers are nurturers and I don't think that I would be able to exercise much self-control over a stranger subjecting my child to what I would consider unacceptable living conditions. I would also report them to the Better Business Bureau and start researching, with determination, other contract companies for the delivery of my oil and my tank maintenance. If the company you are using now is in breach of contract, you can make the case that you no longer have a contract, hence it makes sense to sign a new one with a different, more reliable company.

Don't forget to ask around the neighborhood about other people's experiences with their suppliers.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
EHB said:
I would read the contract very carefully. If they really are in breach of contract, it might be worthwhile having an attorney write them a letter telling them that they have breached the contract you have with them.

I also have always pondered about how wise it is, in this "oil" climate, to have an oil heated house. I know it is costly, but I would definitely look into an alternative, preferably gas-based way to heat your home. I do think, especially with children or the elderly, either the expense or the delivery issues can be troublesome and lead to critical situations.

I would be furious, frankly. Mothers are nurturers and I don't think that I would be able to exercise much self-control over a stranger subjecting my child to what I would consider unacceptable living conditions. I would also report them to the Better Business Bureau and start researching, with determination, other contract companies for the delivery of my oil and my tank maintenance. If the company you are using now is in breach of contract, you can make the case that you no longer have a contract, hence it makes sense to sign a new one with a different, more reliable company.

Don't forget to ask around the neighborhood about other people's experiences with their suppliers.
I totally agree

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
BTDT. We have learned to check the tank often and call the oil company when it gets down to 1/4 tank. They're supposed to deliver regularly, but twice we've been without heat because they didn't come soon enough. Now we pester them with phone calls before we go empty. :D

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Thank you!

Or.................you can find out the owners home address and show up with the family and tell them that you tried calling and no one came out and you are going to have to stay with them ;)

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
lol I like musicmoms idea! Just move in with them till they refill it!
ok seriously is there another company you could go to?

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate other people's views, especially since I was so incredibly angry the day it happened.

Changing to another heating source isn't an option. It's a long story, but we will be moving within the year and putting the house for sale shortly before that. The house, which had been owned by my grandparents, is tiny and completely outdated, but it sits on a giant lot in the middle of an extremely desirable neighborhood. We know that any buyer will either completely tear down the house and rebuild a giant new home or basically build another home on top of this one - it's just not worth saving and is valued at a million less than neighboring homes. So there is no point in investing too much in the place. In addition, there isn't even a natural gas hook-up to the house. We would have to dig up the lawn from the street to the house to lay a connection. This house really needs work.

We've looked into alternative fuel oil suppliers and found none, which I am shocked about. So in writing a letter to the company, I'm trying not to get too crazed at them while emphasizing that the company's duty as a monopoly on an essential service. I've rewritten the letter twice as it was too threatening and/or pissed before. They can't cancel on us, but it is foolish to alienate them completely and then have to continue to rely on them.

EHB: Thanks. I am going to notify the BBB.

We are checking the tank now. Thanks, Trina. I just with the supplier would make emergency deliveries an easier thing, the #$@!@ jerks. :p