How much water?...

zaton

Feb 12, 2014
Hey..
Can anyone tell me the optimum amount of water one is supposed to consume on a daily basis? Years ago something like 8 glasses a day was advised however now it seems that this is now deemed excessive.
Tacoma Boot Camp

Last edited:

ella

PF Regular
Feb 17, 2014
Now they say that you should consume half your body weight in ounces. So if you weight 150 pounds then you need to drink 75 ounces of water. Others say drink when you are thirsty. I am not really sure, I guess that it just depends on who you ask.

CyberDaddy

Apr 23, 2014
Cali
I honestly that there shouldn't be a number of the glasses you consume a day, just drink if you're thirsty. But I believe at least 5 glasses should do, just to keep you hydrated through out the day.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Well, I think there's a point to "scheduling" a certain amount of water. The Problem with waiting until your thirsty is that many times you really could use better hydration that simply racting to thirst and we sometimes confuse hunger and thirst. When I get a thought that I'm hungry, I try drinking some water first, to see if I'm really hungry or if maybe just having some water is what I need.

I know when I'm really properly hydrated everything seems to "work" better, of course that's not the only thing, you can't be properly hydrated yet completely ignore the rest of your nutrition.

Emily92

PF Regular
Mar 20, 2014
My brother-in-law is a nutritionist by profession and he says that it is important to drink water according to your lifestyle rather than follow the 8-glass water rule. If you have a fairly sedentary lifestyle such as sitting all day and working in an air-conditioned environment where there is hardly any scope of sweating, then you ought to drink upto 2 to 2.5 litres of water and not more. Contrary to popular perception, if you tend to drink more than that in this situation, then it will end up accumulating in your kidneys and may cause an edema.

Dan_Bukowski

Mar 14, 2015
Connecticut
I say there is no limit to the amount of water one should drink. Water should be the foundation of all liquid consumption and is the basic building block of the body and mind. All other consumables should have a limit whether it be sugary juices, milk, or gulp soda. This goes for kids and adults.

CraigK

PF Regular
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego
I've heard the 8 glasses a day thing too but if we are talking about kids here, that can be hard to do. I always just try to make sure my kids drink at least one glass of water with each meal and if they feel dizzy or light headed, I suggest they drink a glass of water.

Jerseyknox

May 19, 2020
Top class elite marathon runners do not usually carry anything at all. They are only going to be running for a little over two hours so they don’t need to plan for a major expedition. Top marathon runners have their own support staff waterbladderbag.com who will be stationed around the course to make sure that their runner gets the fluid support they need. What they absolutely don’t need is to carry a 2 or 3 pounds of water weighing them down while they run.

Last edited: