How to cuddle children?...

georgie

Jul 15, 2008
My sister's kid is coming to stay. Do you like rub their back or something? I don't know how to go about it - I haven't been around kids a lot and if she (she's 6 by the way) is upset or scared I want to comfort her.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
All kids are different. My daughter likes to have her back rubbed at night when she's going to sleep. When she's sitting beside me, she likes to hold my hand or lay her head on my lap. Sometimes when we're lying in bed, she likes to lay her head on my chest. It varies. I think you'll figure it out!

BTW, welcome!

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
To echo sarushjr, every child is different. Follow your niece's lead. If she hugs you, hug her back. If she crawls into your lap when she needs comforting, cuddle her. Sometimes a quick hug or back rub is all that is needed.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Yeah, they almost always show you what they want you to do. You'll figure it out easier than you think. They're more likely to come to you for comfort before you get around to trying to comfort them on your own.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
6 is a good age, she should be able to express to what she needs and wants. Follow her lead. And if she's anything like my 6 yr old daughter you should have a fun visit. Make sure you get a clear understanding of the do's and don't from mom though. I've noticed at this age they will try to get away with things they know they really aren't allowed to do.