How to cure my child's acne?...

johkc447

Mar 22, 2008
I'm a 43-year-old father to a male teenager. He has mild-moderate acne and we've tried everything. It's affecting him mainly psychologicaly - low self esteem and self image.

We have tried every "conventional" method out there. Anyone knows of some special method that could work for us? Thanks.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
If the conventional methods aren't working, I think I would seek advice from a dermatologist. Definitely worth it for your DS's sake.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Just a few things. Tell him to quit touching his face with the palm of his hands and try and use the back of his hand. This will not put bacteria or oil on his face, also he needs to keep his hair off of his face. Even though you can not see it the oil from his hair can drip off onto his skin and cause pimples.

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
Music Mom thats solid advice. acne is horrible. I didn't have it so I'm guessing here. Dermotologist. Possible hormonal also.

jrrsmom

PF Fiend
Nov 10, 2007
You don't really "cure" acne. You treat it. I would suggest going to your Family Physician or a Dermatologist. I have been dealing with acne since I was 12. I get cystic ones and they are annoying.

It's actually an infection in the glands in the skin. Certain types of antibiotics can help and also a gel. I do this myself with some other things.

I just started a few weeks ago with this regime and I can definitely tell a difference.

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I know how your son feels. It just seems like it NEVER goes away. Sunlight ALWAYS helped my acne to go away, and i also used tericptic? (sp?) but mainly i just grew out of it.

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
I had bad acne durring my freshman year. All I did was wash my face a few times a day with a soft soap, drank tons of water, and made sure not to touch my face with dirty hands to avoid clogging pores.

Tell him to keep his chin up. It might not seem like it, but it shall pass.

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
Well you can go to the Dermatologist for Accutane. Maybe they have another program by now. It used to be around $3k, but it can cure it for good.

I've found that eating really healthy and exercising works wonders. In the past, if I binged on pizza, chocolate, soda or junk food...I would immediately break out. If you eat super healthy, like vegetables, chicken, fish, water....it should help out. Also keep his sheets clean..wash them frequently, and go to bed clean.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but drinking water is also good for the skin.

jackjacky111

Mar 26, 2008
johkc447, I also have a child suffering from acne. We've tried everything possible, until a good friend of mine recommended trying Dead Sea products with Dead Sea minerals for acne treatment. I asked a few people and found out the oldest company with Dead Sea products is LON cosmetics. I bought their drying lotion for problematic skin and my child's acne is almost gone after just 2 months of treatment!

Give it a shot for your son. Good luck.

thx1138

PF Regular
Apr 1, 2008
When I was youngerI was prescribed Tetracycline for my acne, and that helped. Also being in the sun helped with my acne.