How to entertain your Child if he keeps on asking Questions...

Father Blogger

PF Regular
Jul 17, 2008
Philippines
Here is a good post that I think all of us can learn.

As they say, a bright child is the one who keeps on asking about certain things. This means he has a curious and analytical mind. However, it is sad there are parents who do not understand this. Instead of entertaining them, these poor children are being ignored and sometimes even shouted at. Although there are some parents who entertain such questions, they are not doing it the right way.

Answer with full concentration

Children are fond to ask wondering questions when their parents are busy like preparing for dinner, ironing the clothes and fixing something. Although we may be in a hurry, we must pause for a while and answer him with full concentration. Remember that he is asking, not begging. It is our primary duty as parents to teach them not only about being a good child but also about the things around him. After all, this is also a good time for bonding with him.

Answer honestly

If you are not sure with the right answer, be honest to him. Anyway, you can research for it and get back to him once you know the correct answer. If you think that the question is crucial and he may not yet understand your answer, you can give some analogies and examples that will fit to him as a child. If he learned that your answers are false, he will not ask you again and that will be painful on your part. Take note that our children will always believe whatever we say.

Answer with a smile

It is not your answer that is only important, it is also how you do it. Smile when answering questions from your child adds life to the conversation. Your warm facial expression will invite your child to ask another question and it will go on and on until he feels satisfied. Do not be mad if he asks similar questions next time around. This means he trusts you and he is eager to learn more from you. You must be glad that he is asking you, not someone else.

Answer like a friend

Do not answer like a genius or a smart teacher, but answer him like a friend. Although smiling is a good trait, there is more than just wearing it. Children have different language than adults and we should go down a bit so that our child can reach our level. They are very sensitive about our words and actions and if we must be aware of that. If you sound too intelligent, he might be confused with your answers or worst, he will be mislead. Never answer like he is asking a stranger.

We are the most intelligent people in the eyes of our child.

Source: Happy Family Matters

MeaghanM

Sep 9, 2008
Great advice Father Blogger! I especially like the part about being honest. I'm a teacher and I follow these same principles with my students. You never want to discourage curoisity.
Happy Parenting!