How to interpret blood sugar numbers

Bloods777

Jul 14, 2020
I don't understand what the range of my blood sugar target values means!
If you are living with diabetes, you may have been asked to check your blood sugar frequently. But what exactly? And how do you interpret the numbers you see? Managing your diabetes is easier when you know what the numbers mean and what you are trying to accomplish.

What is the normal range for target glucose levels?
Your doctor is the best person to tell you what your blood sugar goals should be. Since each person is different and unique, your goals may be different from the standard target range. Factors such as age, your health, the duration of your diabetes, or pregnancy can change the goals set by the doctor.

The two main targets for blood sugar are:

Fasting or before a meal: this is your blood sugar value before a meal. This is usually your lowest figure and is best between 4.0 and 7.0 mmol / L.
Blood sugar after a meal: this is your blood sugar number two hours after a meal. This is usually your highest figure; the best is between 5.0 and 10.0 mmol / L.
No one is perfect and is constantly on target. If your number is too high, it's called hyperglycemia. Conversely, if it is too low, it is called hypoglycemia. In both cases, your doctor will want to know this to make sure everything is fine and thus guide you to find the target.

What does the A1c level mean?
Your doctor may discuss another number: it's called your A1c (or HbA1c). This is the average percentage of your blood in the past two or three months that contains sugar. Typically, the target is 7% or less. If the percentage is higher than this, your doctor will want to work with you to reduce it in order to avoid long-term complications. Your doctor can help you better understand how A1c can be used to manage diabetes.

When is the best time to check my blood sugar?
When should you check your blood sugar? Anytime. However, it is best to ask your doctor how often and when to check it. It is suggested that you check your blood sugar enough to observe changes during the day.

If you are not using insulin, you can check your blood sugar:

upon waking (before eating),
before each meal,
and two hours after each meal.
If you are using insulin, you can check your blood sugar:

upon waking (before eating),
before each meal,
before each injection,
and before going to sleep.
If you have a cold or feel stressed, it would be wise to check your blood sugar a little more often.

How to keep your blood sugar numbers handy?
It's hard to remember anything if you don't write it down. We therefore suggest that you keep your test results up to date using the mySugr app or keep a log book. Most blood glucose meters keep your numbers in memory. Using an app like mySugr and recording your meals, snacks, exercises, etc. can help you understand how feelings and other factors can affect your blood sugar.
Why should I care about my blood sugar?
Your health and happiness are important. Living with diabetes is a challenge in itself, but knowing how your body and blood sugar change during the day and what your blood sugar goals are can really help you avoid ups and downs. Your doctor can advise you on what to do in these difficult times. The idea is to get to know you better in order to help you live a healthier and happier life.

https://bloodsugarpremier.info/