How To Make Kids to exercise more?...

slipstreamer

Mar 11, 2008
Hi, These kids today are so overworked and have hardly time to play outside, especially in the winter time when it is so cold outside.
How can a mom make sure that my kid gets enough exercise?
He is growing still but has already a little belly fat. When I was his age, I was always skinny...
I was thinking of getting some dvd-s that he can do inside the house... any good idea?

aliinnc

PF Fanatic
Jan 10, 2008
Raleigh NC
We try hard to have a healthy family. Here are some of the things we've done.

We trained as a family to do the MS 150 (a two-day 150 mile bike ride raising money for multiple sclerosis). It was a great experience.

The kids and I had a summer long ab challenge. We started at around 100 crunches per day and worked up to 500! The support was unbelievable. One night I was so tired that I fell asleep sitting in a chair. The kids woke me up and said, "Come on, MOM, if you don't do them, you'll feel bad tomorrow!"

They are much more likely to do anything if you do it with them. Train for a 5K together, walking or running.

Go hike a five-mile trail (or ski or snowshoe it).

Just a few ideas!

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
I think in the winter time you get a free pass to not exercise a lot.

But if it's not snowing or cold...there is no excuse to go to the park almost everyday with your kids :)

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
FooserX said:
I think in the winter time you get a free pass to not exercise a lot.

But if it's not snowing or cold...there is no excuse to go to the park almost everyday with your kids :)
Why do you have to make every thread your personal playground?

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
Is he interested in sports?

I played football, baseball, and even a little basketball around his age. I had a bit of chub in 5th grade and then trimed down after a growth spurt, and year-round sports.

If not get the guy a Nintendo WII. You'd be suprised how much activity that thing involves.

Also check the diet your are feeding him. If you are concerned about his health check into some of the many nutritional guides that can be found online.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Kids don't get fat from sitting, they get fat from what you are feeding them. I'd suggest looking into nutrition.
Play frisbee, basketball, sledding....whatever. Anything is better then nothing. But he'll still get fat from what he eats.

Shari Nielsen

PF Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2008
CT
Try DDR - Dance, Dance, Revolution. I was just speaking to one of my former students the other day about it. He was a large, chubby sophomore and came back as a 100+ pound thinner junior. I couldn't believe it was him when he came by my classroom to visit. (I hadn't seen him since I left on my maternity leave LAST April). He looked great and attributed it all to eating healthier (and less) and spending at least an hour dancing on DDR every day! It was great that he found something aerobic to do that he truly enjoys (he is NOT athletic in the typical sense of the word).

Anyway...try that. They make it for every gaming system that is out there and kids seem to love it.

AnKsMommy

PF Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
Japan
Ten year olds should have strong enough immune systems to go outside and play. So think of some fun activities to do outside with him. Bike riding, roller blading, skateboarding were some of my favorites. Is he into sports? Football, basketball...stuff like that.

Now if you can't get out..what I do for exercise whenever my kids are asleep...I put on some DDR *Dance Dance Revolution* and get down! Yea it's a video game, but it's good for workout and can keep track of calories.