How to tell if a baby/toddler has a headache or a stiff neck

daculprit

Nov 9, 2022
Day 6 of high fevers, sometime spiking to 105+ with an 18 month old.

Was at doctor yesterday, they stressed what to look out for was a stiff neck or a headache.

Couldn't tell me signs of meningitis outside the same things websites all say. Outside of basic words he doesn't speak much, like most 18 month olds. So when I ask him if he has a stiff neck or a headache he just moans at me, I can't tell if they're the regular "I'm miserable" moans or if they're "yes, I have a headache/stiff neck" moan.

Sorry, that last part is sarcasm. 18 months old don't understand words and concepts like that. Which is infuriating as those are the differentiators we're supposed to look out for to know if it's just a bad cold or if it's a potentially deadly illness.

So does anyone know of any common movements or motions a baby will make to signal they have a headache or a stiff neck? You'd think somewhere, someplace there's be common signs that babies/toddlers give to these conditions.

For instance my son has never put his hands behind his neck while sleeping, and still doesn't when his fever is low, but when his fever is high he is either sleeping with his hands behind his head or he makes clasping motions at the back of his head.

Neither the ER or pediatrician docs thought much of it, they left me with a "watch out for signs and symptoms of headaches or a stiff neck."

But nobody can give me "signs or symptoms" of a toddler who can't explain it nor can understand the concepts of those symptoms.

There's millions of sites explaining what to look out for in general, but not a single one gives of examples of what they can present as in a baby or toddler who doesn't have words to tell me what it is.

Obviously if he gets the rash or the splotches, take him to the doctor, but every resource says to try to catch it before it gets to that point by looking out for.....

It's infuriating.