I dislike my Daughter's new best friend and her family...

CraigK

PF Regular
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego
I have a fifteen year old daughter who is going into her sophomore year of high school. At the end of the school year last year, she started hanging out with this new girl, we'll call her "Haley." Something about her has just rubbed me the wrong way. She never comes over to our house, our daughter always has to go there. Sleepovers are exactly the same. I can never come inside to say hello to the parents. It's always a quick drop off and a horn honk when they leave. Everything has to be run through their family. Hayley has never been rude to me, but she's never been friendly to me and my wife either.

My daughter has become snappier when around her and seems to be more snippy than usual. I understand that this is also a result of her growing up, but there's something amiss here.

Am I overthinking this? I don't want to "ban" them from seeing each other, I just want to know the people who are spending all this time with me daughter.

Is that too much to ask?

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
Perhaps those parents had a bad experience when conversing with other parents and they just rather keep their distance. I think the best, non-confrontational, least invasive way to reach out would be to send them an invite to a little dinner party. They could be just as wary of you as you are to them. Maybe they are one of those helicopter parents that don't trust anyone place over their own when it comes to their kids. At least with a dinner party, you can state that bringing along any kids is optional.

BellaBabyBoutiq

Sep 1, 2015
Virginia Beach
Offer to take them out to the movies. Do not give them money to go alone or to have her go with the child's parents. Only activities "with you involved" like eating out, etc. Maybe take them out for an ice cream or frozen yogurt.

Say no on occasion and say she (the friend) can come over but you can't go there today. I just feel you need to spend more time at home, however it's ok for you to have your friend to come over.

Offer to take them to the mall - trust me they will be mortified that you are with them but you might get to see what is going on, meet the kid, get to know them. Tell your daughter she has been so awesome that you are going to take her to the mall and give her lunch or a 40 dollar mini shopping spree and that she can bring a friend. When I went with my daughter they walked 6 feet ahead of me and tried to lose me but I was diligent and stayed with the girls. I found I really disliked one of her friends but she had to learn it for herself at some point.

Do not allow yourself to get talked out of being the special parent who gets to take them to the activity. Tell her it's something special you wanted to do with her/for her. If she tries to get you to drop them off say no because it was a special time you wanted to share with her. Do not give her the money keep it in your wallet until pay time which will force her to interact with you.

I am sure you can think of some ideas...take them fishing, take them to the an activity, etc.

I just got through these stages with my 3rd child who just graduated high school so I know this painful stage well.

As kids grow they want to feel independent so the SNAPPINESS comes from them trying to push you off a bit...it's completely normal and ends somewhere from 18-25 (yes 25) if you are lucky.

Best wishes,

Kimberly

Last edited:

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
It doesn't sound like anything is amiss based on what you said, but I do agree that it's not too much to ask to meet the family that your daughter spends time with.

It's okay to say no sometimes, or to specify that Haley can come over to your place but not hers this time. She might be snappy, but I suspect that it just because teens are compulsively social. I remember one of my teen friends and I wanted to hang out and her mom said no, because she felt we had spent lots of time together lately and were getting on each other's nerves. It was true. We were surprised she noticed, but even more surprised that we didn't even think to give each other space. We were just going to bare through it, because that's how teens think! Such an odd life stage, in that respect.

СloudNow

May 3, 2020
Yeah it's necessary in this era to meet the people atleast once your child is spending time with. Other than that it is also necessary to keep an eye on your kids activities . I would really recommend using a Parental Control App as it will help you to check in on your kid. My experience with these Apps is good. I am using it for both of my kids.

StephenAlcor

May 11, 2020
CraigK said:
I have a fifteen year old daughter who is going into her sophomore year of high school.  At the end of the school year last year, she started hanging out with this new girl, we'll call her "Haley."  Something about her has just rubbed me the wrong way.  She never comes over to our house, our daughter always has to go there.  Sleepovers are exactly the same.  I can never come inside to say hello to the parents.  It's always a quick drop off and a horn honk when they leave.  Everything has to be run through their family.  Hayley has never been rude to me, but she's never been friendly to me and my wife either.  

My daughter has become snappier when around her and seems to be more snippy than usual.  I understand that this is also a result of her growing up, but there's something amiss here.

Am I overthinking this?  I don't want to "ban" them from seeing each other, I just want to know the people who are spending all this time with me daughter.

Is that too much to ask?
I can only share with you what happened in my family and childhood to produce results similar to what you are experiencing. 
My parents, not me, succeeded in alienating and pushing me away from a very early age so, by the time I was in my teens, I had the power and need to go find "friends" who would accept, befriend and LOVE me in ways my unfriendly, hostile, abusive and shaming parents would or could not.   I, just like your daughter, gravitated to "friends" that were very different from my own but made me feel welcomed, respected and ACCEPTED.  I just couldn't resist being involved with others who seemed to accept and love me just as I am - even if some of my new friends were unsavory, low-life types.  Looking back, it is glaringly obvious to me that my unfriendly, hostile, abusive parents could have easily kept me close to and with them all along IF ONLY they had bothered to accept, love and HELP me as some kind of a friend instead of as my jailers, wardens and unfriendly owners.   I assume they believed they were "guiding" and "helping" me to grow up and become as good and powerful as they were but all they did was drive me under ground at a very early age to do all sorts of nasty stuff behind their ignorant, menacing backs and move further and further away from them towards much more fun and FRIENDLY strangers who also despised my parents as much as I did.  My parents may have believed they were doing the best they could but all they did was deeply damage me and it took a lot of years in therapy to undo their damages!

Re: "I understand that this is also a result of her growing up, but there's something amiss here."
Jim: This is NOT the result of "growing up" - it's the result of bad, offensive, hurtful, distancing and unloving PARENTING!!!  What is "amiss" is: love, respect and ACCEPTANCE from the parent to the child.  Only the parent has the power and obligation to fix whatever is "amiss" in a family.

"Am I overthinking this?  I don't want to "ban" them from seeing each other, I just want to know the people who are spending all this time with me daughter."
You are not "overthinking this", you just like my parents, are totally MISUNDERSTANDING what YOU are doing to your own child!  You can ban and police all you like but that will not repair the rift that you alone have set up between you and your child.  You daughter might want to spend more "time" with you if only she felt welcome, wanted and respected by you.  Her friends are supplying what she should be getting from her own parents!  I always felt more loved and respected by ANYONE other than my own parents.
"Is that too much to ask?"
You are asking the WRONG question!  A more useful question might be:  How can I/we restore the love, respect, trust and closeness that WE have lost in our relationship with our own child BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE?  My very ignorant and stubborn parents could have very easily turned it all around if only they had stopped bullying and shaming me and treated me with some respect and friendship.  I would have gladly  opened myself up to them and stayed happily close to them IF ONLY THEY HAD ALLOWED IT TO HAPPEN. 
The good news is that after many unhappy, angry and painful years in jail, therapy, broken marriages, etc., I (and my damaged siblings) finally did find love, self-respect and happiness despite the rotten way we were raised by our also damaged parents so, perhaps it will all turn out well for your daughter anyway.  It would and could be a much happier story for all of you if you, the parents, could get honest about what you are doing to your child, get some counseling and turn it all around BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE.   My parents never did but that was their sad and pathetic choice.  I'd get a book or 2 on parenting or just google it.
Good luck........