I saved a life. I'm a hero. No big deal....

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
Needed to get out for a while so I decided to take the girls to Carhenge.

When we got there, there was a cat laying in the parking lot. oh, nice. They have a mouser.
Go inside and buy friends some touristy crap.
Come back out, go over to check out Carhenge and there's this fat girl swinging the cat around.
She puts it down, we ask if it's her cat, she says no and runs off.
We go check out the cat. It's laying down like it was in the parking lot and has it's eyes half closed. I let it sniff me and the thing starts purring and wants to be rubbed. There was what I thought was a splinter on it's shoulder, it was covered in blood, it wouldn't get up. I thought the poor thing was diseased and near death and I started to get the kids away from it. We started walking away and the kitty stood up and followed.
I couldn't leave the poor thing out there so I took the chance and she let me pick her up. She's declawed in the front so she was someone's pet at some point.

Now I'd <I>like</I> to give people the benefit of the doubt and say maybe someone was traveling with this cat, it got out of the car when they stopped at Carhenge, either they couldn't find it or they didn't know it got out and he got left behind.
But if someone left a declawed in the country with no hope of catching anything or fending for itself just because they didn't want it anymore... I wish very bad things on that person.

Picked up the cat and took it into the gift shop. Asked if anybody owned it and she said no. It had been out there for a while and was friendly but nobody ever claimed it. Asked if she cared if I took it and she said she'd be so happy. We bought some beef jerkey for the cat and it inhaled it. That was the only time it wanted out of my arms because it wanted at that food!

Put kitty in the jeep. Not so thrilled, but she finished the bag of beef jerkey in the 4 miles to the vet's.
Took kitty inside. There was a dog in the waiting room. Kitty did not freak out for which I am grateful since I was holding it.
Told them the story. Asked them to take care of the "thorn" and check kitty over. If it was healthy, I wanted it. If it was diseased, well at least we could put it down instead of it starving to death.
Kitty needed a name on the paperwork so I wrote Carhenge. Carhenge the Cat seemed appropriate.
Then we went for ice cream! And shopping for cat things. Got a "cat starter kit" of a litter box, scooper, bags, food &amp; water bowls. A collar with a bell. Some food &amp; litter.
And vet called and said the thorn was an abscess with dead skin in the middle. (ewwww) And they had drained the puss and given kitty a shot of antibiotic and she was ready to go home. Hurray!

Vet was kind enough to give me a "kitten pack" with a book &amp; a "how do I cat?" DVD and some kitten food. I haven't had a cat in like a decade and have no idea what I'm doing. Kitty traveled in a carrier this time, but still wasn't thrilled.
[/URL]

Lita's as pleased as a peach and very excited to have a cat. She swears up and down she'll clean the cat box everyday.
[/URL]

Came inside and put her down for PeeWee to check out.
<YOUTUBE id="e-_zatoq_5w" url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-_zatoq_5w">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-_zatoq_5w</YOUTUBE>
Kitty does not approve

Locked up PeeWee and let Carhenge check out the place.
<YOUTUBE id="8i3iK3lq2RA" url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i3iK3lq2RA">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i3iK3lq2RA</YOUTUBE>

[/URL]

[/URL]

Carhenge was well cared for at some point. She knows canned cat food when she sees it.
[/URL]

She's so funny and uses her paws to grab things.
[/URL]

Little brat is already stealing my computer chair.
[/URL]

[/URL]

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
ugh... how could I not bring her home?
[/URL]

Now I don't like cats. Cats are assholes. But I have to say this is about the sweetest cat I've ever not liked. She follows me from room to room and keeps jumping in my lap like she thinks I like her.
Horrid thing.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I'm not a cat fan either but I would have done the same thing. You are a great person for doing that. The whole time I was reading I thought that would be a proper name for the cat and was happy when I read you actually named her that.
Good job mom!! You are a hero!

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I am LMAFAO, did you ask the cat "are you still sedated?" That is hysterical. Your dog has the look in his eye after you tell him you are not going to protect him like "oh shit, I had better back up"

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Cat lover here, and I want to give you big {{{HUGS}}} for saving this kitty!

BTW, it's time to raise the headrest on your DD's booster. ;)

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
musicmom said:
I am LMAFAO, did you ask the cat "are you still sedated?" That is hysterical.

:laugh: Yeah. She had those inner extra eyelids half out a lot when we first came home. I know they "calmed her down" a bit to drain the pus.

musicmom said:
And your children are VERY polite!
Thank you. :)

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
That is such a wonderful post! :)

I'm a cat lover too, I don't know why you would say they are a-holes. They just aren't needy like dogs are. Some are really affectionate and just want to be around you...I think that's so cool.

I also love calicos too.

Congrats on your new kitty!

They sell cat brushes for a couple of bucks, and one of my kitties LOVES it. :)

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
Tidy Cats gets too big thumbs down from me. My house already smells like cat pee. :mad:

Cthru

PF Fiend
May 11, 2008
Chicago suburbs
you sure it's going in the the box and no where else?

I hope you are not discovering why someone one would have horribly abandoned this cat.

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
Yup. Kitty was locked in the bathroom with the box overnight. And since the dog is out, she won't come down from the ledge :)

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
LOL, sounds like she's been through a lot and will need a little time to get used to her new environment (and housemates.)

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Cthru said:
you sure it's going in the the box and no where else?

I hope you are not discovering why someone one would have horribly abandoned this cat.
are you using a clumping/scoopable litter? I've noticed that it keeps the smell down MUCH better. Arm &amp; hammer makes a better one and also fresh step. I've never really liked Tidy cats Just make sure it's clumping or scoopable. Also even with just the one cat I would buy the multi cat formula, and sprinking some baking soda in the bottom of the box helps :)

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
fallon said:
are you using a clumping/scoopable litter? I've noticed that it keeps the smell down MUCH better. Arm &amp; hammer makes a better one and also fresh step. I've never really liked Tidy cats Just make sure it's clumping or scoopable. Also even with just the one cat I would buy the multi cat formula, and sprinking some baking soda in the bottom of the box helps :)

Ditto fallon! Clumpable/scoopable litter is the way to go. We use Everclean.