If you had the opportunity to homeschool your children, would you and why? Or, would you choose public or private school...

Klissop

Jun 30, 2020
Personally, I would chose to homeschool my children. As a homeschooling mother of 10 kids, here are some the reason why I homeschool my children (yes all of them).

Pros of Homeschooling:

Flexible Curriculums – Parents are able to control the pace of the curriculum and tailor lessons to the needs of their child. A flexible curriculum allows for the parent to adapt to their child’s learning style. Parents may decide to do more hands-on activities to supplement lessons or they can review previous lesson to strengthen their child’s understanding. I recommend first Finding the right homeschool curriculum for you and your kids

Intimate Relationship with the Family – A strong relationship is formed when parent and child are learning together. Homeschooling creates an environment where intimate connections are formed because the parent and their child have time spent together.

Religious Freedom – Michael Farris, a strong homeschool advocate, quoted an educational psychologist saying “kids get their values from whomever they spend a majority of their time with”. Homeschool gives parents the freedom to teach their child values and beliefs that may not be taught in public or private schools. Homeschool gives the opportunity for imparting important life lessons.

Reducing Negative Influence – Negative influences or distractions from schoolwork will not be as likely to detract from learning because parents are able to monitor their child. Children will be able to focus more when there is no bullying or teasing in the classroom. Self-esteem will not be affected because parents are able to help develop and nurture their children.

Experience life with your kids - I get to spend so much more time with my kids! We get to go on fun adventures and homeschool field trips, explore historical landmarks, and have fun staying at home in our PJs on cold days!

Looking to get started with homeschooling? Join our homeschooling consultation!

kanlinkancy

Jul 1, 2020
I have worked in public schools for many years in the US.  While there are many good and talented people who work in public and private schools, I would lean toward homeschooling for most parents, mostly because of the freedom to teach the way and content you want as well as the time with your children.  However, if you lack the time to do so effectively, feel overwhelmed by the demands, have children with special needs you feel unable to address, etc. then a good public or private school is still a good choice.  Being involved in your child's education is usually more important than where they go to school.  

NatashaNen

Jun 25, 2020
This thread is so helpful. I am planning to homeschool my toddler. Thank you for sharing this info!