I'm half way there...

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
okay so Tim and i are talking about naming the babies. as I'm sure you know i am an Atheist. Tim is Christian and his family are VERY religious. i like Makayla for a Girl but if you look up Makayla meaning it means "is like god" which i think will be considered offensive when we get her baptised (which i don't want to do but tim insists on)

for a boy we both like Ronan because Tim's family is irish so he wants an irish name. but there are already a lot of Ronan's in the family. we then thought of Conan but his last name is Colgan so that doesn't work either so now we like Lochlan which means "comes from the land of many loch's" and Tim and i were reading a book about the men that worked on the Loch's in ireland when we were pregnant but before we knew..

so do you think Makayla is a bad name because of the meaning (i especially want the opinions of those who follow any religion)
and what do you think of Lochlan?

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I think they will likely enjoy whatever name you choose. If makayla meant is god, well then you may have a prob.

My vote is to name them whatever feels right to you all.

Aylaissi

PF Regular
Nov 18, 2011
It has been awhile for me, so I might be wrong since I am no longer religious... However if memory serves me correct many people believe that it is something you are suppose to do, to strive to be like god. To always work at overcoming their flaws and show those positive qualities. So if that is the case I would think the name would be considered an inspiration for your child not an insult. Like I said it has been a long time for me though so I would run that by someone who is still active in religion! Good luck on naming and remember whatever you pick will be perfect when the time comes ^^

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
Eastern North Carolina, USA
I believe you should name her what ever you want. That being said... since Dad is religious, I don't think you letting him pick that name would be an insult anyway. I think its a beautiful choice.

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
they are not names like i would usually choose, my first two were called Felix and Alegra which are quite unusual names but Tim prefers more plane names so it is hard to reach a happy medium lol and then when religion comes in to it too it is just an entirely different problem lol