Immunization...

zeitgeist

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2008
Never have I seen her react like that to anything. She's cried hard, sure, but she opened her eye and looked at me through the worst of it, and the message was utterly clear: "I don't know what's going on, daddy, but if you love me make it stop!"

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
Those appointments are always the worst! Are you giving her tylenol 30min before she gets her vaccines? That should help some. Just pick her up and cuddle her and she'll forgive you ;)

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I promise she'll love you again soon...LOL Shots are so hard to watch and even worse that they expect you to hold your child down for them :-(

zeitgeist

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2008
When I brought her home she slept on my chest for an hour or so, then ate some, then slept in the swing. We didn't actually have any baby Tylenol, so mom brought some home with her.

She's been doing well, all things considered. I think that the initial shock of the shot was just a lot harder on daddy & mommy than on baby.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
yeah, I hate doing that. You'll notice the Dr doesn't give the shots, nor are they there when they are given. They don't want to be the feared on (and I don't blame them, I don't want my kids to fear going to the dr either. I just feel bad for the nurse.) Luckily my kids have both been pretty tough about getting shots, so no abject fear like you described Zeit, my heart goes out to you. cuddles, tylenol and assurances that it's over and in retrospect wasn't that bad (ie it's going to happen again and I want you to remember that you lived through it once, you needn't fear it next time....)

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
poor baby. yeah its a tough necessary evil. doesn't seem to get any easier as time goes by. keep up with the cuddles and tylenol.

has any one mentioned that ya can ?double shot? (the nurses and docs called it something else when they told us but that's close enough) the tylenol and motrine?
what i mean is has anyone mentioned to ya that you can and should alternate them each time a fever reducer & pain reducer is needed.

give the tylenol first.
wait the recommended 4 hours
switch out with motrine
wait the recommended 6 hours
switch back to tylenol
keep alternating out 'til its not needed anymore.
or vice versa using motrine first instead of tylenol waiting the recommended hours.

this is supposed to help reduce the pain and/or fever quicker. which it really does. :)

ya didn't mention how well she's doing. i reckon she's growing like and weed and has ya'll wrapped around her tiny finger.

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
Bek didnt even react to them, even now, I say "We have to have a tetanus shot" she goes "okay" gets it done, then asks for a lollypop like they get on this one episode of Rugrats.

Lily screams and cries though.

Lynette

PF Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2009
Switzerland
My pediatre used to give me patches with emla cream -it contains a narcotic for the skin and really helps. You have to put them on the spot where the immunization will be injected an hour prior to the shot. It really helps.

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
here this past couple weeks emmy has had 2 shots of penicilline. hate to say it this way but it really describes her pain: she squealed like a piggy. one left a bruise on her poor bottom and the other didn't. some nurses and techs just have "the touch" and some don't. it don't seem to matter the experience either. over the years we've come across nurses and techs that have a lot of experience leave a bruise when they do shots or draw blood . yet some of the younger ones w/out much experience don't leave more than the mark of the needle and vice versa.
go figure!

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
16th ave. said:
here this past couple weeks emmy has had 2 shots of penicilline. hate to say it this way but it really describes her pain: she squealed like a piggy.
Ouch! Penicillin is very thick(and painful!) and has to go through a larger needle than most medicines :(

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Aww poor baby! :( Its so hard, isn't it zeit? Don't worry, she'll forgive you.

16th Ave - I haven't heard about alternating Tylenol and Motrin, but I'm sure its a good idea. I did want to add however that Motrin can only be given to babies six months and older, so that advice doesn't really apply to zeit.

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
xero--i'll go with ya on that one. i can't think straight enough to even remember i the kids was ever given the motrine when they was that young.
sorry zeit. i been <U>fighting</U> with state medicaid and forgot your babe was a newborn. (more like cursing them really.)
but the alternating does work for older kiddos.

ood to see ya back xero.:)