Inlaw discord 😤

Momof2OL

Nov 10, 2020
We allowed my MIL and SIL with her son to live with us (me, husband, 2 yr old) and agreed to split rent. They were not affected by COVID19 thank goodness and my MIL even went on vacation to Europe. 1 year later and we have covered over $5k of their portion of rent. We ended up paying all utilities and alternated with food (because I don't want to go hungry). We have baby #2 on the way and we just bought a house. In the summer, the inlaws said they were going to move out because their commute to work is too far. We purchased a small house for our little family and I'm due in 5 weeks. I was excited for some renovations and decorating a nursery, giving my 2yo her first bedroom... now inlaws said their housing fell through and had to move in with us. We were not able to do any of the renos we were planning, but ok. It has been 3 months and I asked twice when they are planning to move. My MIL snapped at me why am I asking all the time. I don't think it's unfair of me to ask what is the plan/status and for being 8 months pregnant I think I have been very fair and understanding. SIL makes more money than I do, doesn't have a car payment, so other than cc debt and small student loans, I'm not sure how she doesn't have at least $100 per week to give us. Anyway, now I am getting irritated at everything: When they give my daughter junk food, candy, ice cream, they brush her teeth before meals instead of after meals, they undermine my discipline (which as you know for toddlers, discipline must have follow-through). My SIL son is 3.5 and out of control. I keep reminding myself this is temporary and that I need to trust God... but all of this is too much to handle right now. Also, once the baby is due my hospital bill will be over $6k so that $5k they owe us would have really helped... but they have not paid us anything in 6 months. This post is mostly for me to vent and try to get my frustration out of my body because when I talk to my husband, he says he knows how I feel but of course they're family, so I can't really speak everything on my mind. 😤

Moonstone

Nov 9, 2020
USA
Yikes, sorry to hear you're going through this and it doesn't seem like your husband is entirely on your side.

Have you talked to your husband about how this behavior might be enabling MIL and SIL to continue taking advantage of you?

Momof2OL

Nov 10, 2020
Yikes, sorry to hear you're going through this and it doesn't seem like your husband is entirely on your side.

Have you talked to your husband about how this behavior might be enabling MIL and SIL to continue taking advantage of you?
Thank you Moonstone - for reading and for reaching out and helping me not to feel so lonely. I mentioned to him yesterday that his sister commented several years ago, "his friends take advantage of him". And now it definitely seems like they are taking advantage of him, but he says "they wouldn't do that if they didn't really need the help". 😖 just a frustrating situation that I'm hoping will ease and hopefully they will move out by Dec 1st. In the meantime, there is definitely tension in the house.