Interesting reminder Discipline vs Teaching...

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I stumbled upon a radio show last night and they were talking about role playing out different situations with kids. And their comment was that we spend a lot of time and effort disciplining and telling our kids about all they do wrong and part of our jobs as parents is to teach them what to do right. They don't automatically know what to do right, just because we make them aware of the wrong.

So, there suggestion was when we have s situation of bad behaviour, we handle the immediate reaction as we do, however that may be, they recognize that we aren't equiped to be able to turn off the reaction to the event, so wait until we calm down, then gather the child back and review what went wrong and talk with them about what to do right, then actually role play out the right behavior, so the get practise at doing the right things. This practise will better equip them to respond appropriately to the triggers that set off the bad behaviour last time, in the future.

I know I'm probably buthering the whole thing, but it made a lot of sense and it was real world applicable, I liked it and thought I'd share.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
very good advice. This is how I try to handle things with my daughter minus the role playing, I hadn't really thought of that. Thanks for sharing

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
yeah, it wasn't exactly "ground-breaking" but it did kind of help remind me of some stuff I've lost sight of in the day-to-day hustle.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
of course, it's easy to forget that just because they know it's wrong doesn't mean they know how to handle it the right way

equest

Mar 6, 2008
What good advice. Most of my childhood my mom just told me what I was doing wrong but never showed me what to do instead.

I agree that it's much better to show them rather than just tell them how to react better next time.