Introductions...

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I would like "to ask the powers that be" to require a first post be in the intro thread.

I think this would cut down on the bot's and help us identify spammers vs misguided but well intentioned posters.

Opinions??

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I don't know, honestly. I like the idea in theory, but I think we already have problems with driving people away due to how strict our site is. Everyone hates and complains about the five post rule, imagine if we piled more requirements on top of that. We would probably just lose more new people IMO. It would be nice if everybody did do that, though. I just don't want to be too controlling. I have been a part of a lot of forums, and ours is the strictest and the only one I've ever seen with the five post rule or anything else. We're also one of the slower forums I'm on. Idk if there's a correlation.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I would definitely agree with that. I think it's a much better replacement for the five post rule. I don't know if we can get them to lift it though, I've e-mailed admins several times asking to get rid of the five post rule and never any luck. But maybe if we had a better idea to replace it they would.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
If we all agree I will write the admin. Frankly its time consuming to look through all 5 post of; Yes, Ok, Not me, ect... Its hard to tell if the are preparing to spam or in a hurry to ask a urgent question. Its impossible for us mods to make a judgment call on a few one word post's. I think its also responsible for some of the old post bumping. And like Xero said may have kept some legit posters from posting at all.

I dont know about you all but I pop in and out all the time. Currently I have to wait for the 6th post to boot.

Just my opinion. I say let them blurt it out whats on their mind. Then we can decide.

Last edited:

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
It's fine by me if you e-mail an admin. Or you might be able to put it in the support area.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I am not going to do anything with out the OK from all mods. Sometimes I think that everyone thinks like me only to be sadly mistakin.

I have a rough draft. Theeerrreee may be a rider I am attaching to this bill. Watch your PM's and remember its a rough draft

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Oh, I agree! That was just my ok there. :) I wonder where IADad is at.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I added the part about SAHM linking. I think it would be nice to help out when we can.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
And everyone feel free to not agree if they want. I will just change the language from We to I. I am just not comfortable using "We" unless I am sure its really "We"

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I agree about the intro post replacing the 5 posts, on the mom and pop advertising, the only problem I have is how do you draw that line? So, I agree with the sentiment, but I think enforcement could be dodgy.

What if we asked to let people post a url and a company name/ single line explanation of their business in their signatures, but no lengthy "advertisements." Sort of a "business card" I'm also really not opposed to allowing surveys. I'd say put them in their own folder and let people particiapate or ignore them as they wish.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I agree.

Not as sure about surveys. Over the years I have had surveys take me places I didnt want to go.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I would be okay with the one or two liners to advertise in their signatures. I just don't see a problem with that. I don't want them to post about it, but why does it matter if they advertise in their signatures? You know?

I would be okay with surveys in question form, not link form, in their own subforum "Parenting Surveys" etc.

However, the survey thing is up to us. That's not really a rule made up by the admins, we kind of came up with it on our own forever ago. We would have to ask for the addition of the subforum though.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Like, polls and question surveys? I don't think one poll could cover most whole surveys.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Not pickin up what yer puttin down.

What are we thinking in regards to polls and survey's?

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
LOL I'm not sure.

Let's see.

I can't decide if it should be under "Parentingforums.org" or "General Parenting Forums" but under one of those, we would title a new subforum along with the rest "Surveys and Polls" and everyone, including students and whatnot would be free to post their surveys (in question form, as in 1. does your kid watch tv? 2. how much tv do they watch? 3. etc...) but with no link to outside sites because that presents danger and spam possibilities, or create polls if they just have one question with multiple answers. If they post these things outside of the subforum, they will be moved. And so on. Does that sound good? lol